Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Bilbo kept watch for Gandalf until it was dark. I, on the other hand, wasn't worried. I knew Gandalf had founded this quest, and he wouldn't just abandon us.

When Bombur handed me my bowl of stew, I glanced around for a spot to sit. I saw an open stump next to Thorin, and sat down tentatively. Thorin glanced at me, but didn't say a word, so I thought I would start a conversation.

"Hello," I said in a small voice. Thorin looked at me again.

"What do you want?" he asked rather rudely.

I opened my mouth, then shut it again, at a loss for words.

"I just... what do you have against me?" I mumbled.

This time Thorin turned and looked me in the eye. "I have nothing against you, only against your presence." Thorin said, looking at his food again.

I looked at my feet guiltily, and heard Thorin sigh and move to another open seat. My appetite gone, I returned my bowl to Bombur. Bilbo was standing near, leaning against a rundown pillar.

"He still hasn't come back yet," I heard him murmur.

"He's a wizard, he does as he chooses," Bofur said, handing Bilbo and me each a bowl of of the stew. "Take these to the lads, will you?" he asked, nodding towards the trees where Fili and Kili were watching the ponies.

As we turned away, I heard Bofur slap Bombur's hand as he said, 'Stop it, you've had plenty." I gave a little laugh, and saw Bilbo smiling too.

When we spotted Fili and Kili, we walked over and offered them their bowls. Neither of them moved, which I though was a bit odd.

"What's the matter?" Bilbo asked slowly.

"We're supposed to he watching the ponies," said Kili, not taking his eyes off the clearing where the horses were eating.

"Only, we've encountered a slight problem," Fili said worriedly.

As we walked among the ponies, Fili explained to us, "There was sixteen. Now there's fourteen."

"Daisy and Bungo are missing," Kili noticed. I handed my bowl to Bilbo and went to inspect an uprooted tree with Fili.

"It looks as if something big uprooted these trees," Bilbo said, his voice mingled with concern. "Something very big, and possibly quite dangerous."

"Look! There's a light!" Fili said, quickly running over to a fallen log. Kili and I soon joined him, and we crouched behind it, staring at the flickering glow in the distance.

I heard Bilbo come up behind us, and from the smell, he was still carrying the two bowls of soup. He set them down on the log, and we all listened intently. We heard grunting and shouting near the light, and Bilbo asked,

"What is that?"

"Trolls," Kili said with malice. The two dwarves clambered over the log, Bilbo and I not far behind. I saw Bilbo hesitate, and he ran back to get the bowls.

We reached thick tree and once again crouched behind it. Bilbo, coming last, had to dart out of the way as a huge mountain troll lumbered towards what we now knew to be a fire. It was carrying two ponies, who were whinnying under the arms of the troll.

"He's got Myrtle and Minty!" Bilbo whispered furiously. "I think they're going to eat them. Do you think we should tell Thorin?"

"No, we won't bother him. As our burglar, we thought you might like to look into it." Fili said, turning towards Bilbo. As he began to protest, Kili said, "It's perfectly safe, we'll be right behind you. If you get into trouble, hoot once like a barn owl, an twice like a brown owl." he said, grabbing my hand and pulling me up into a tree.