Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"His name is Beorn, and he's a skin changer," Gandalf explains to the shocked dwarves.

"Sometimes he's a huge black bear, sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but the man can be reasoned with. However, he is not overly fond of dwarves."

"He's leavin'," Ori says, peering through the crack in the door.

"Come away from there," Dori whisper shouts, pulling him away. "It's not natural, none of it. It's obvious. He's under some dark spell."

I snorted, seeing the dwarves so worked up and Gandalf not paying them any heed.

"Don't be a fool, he's under no enchantment but his own," Gandalf spoke.

"Alright now, get some sleep, all of you. You'll be safe here tonight," Gandalf says, walking between us.

"I hope."

Later that night I was curled up next to Kili, his hand in mine. Bilbo had rolled his eyes and groaned when he'd seen us, but I'd only laughed.

I could hear animals moving around inside and outside the house, and even though Gandalf explained that Beorn had the animals as his servants and that they were very well trained, it still scared me.

I tensed when I heard a creak near my head, and Kili's arm moved from my hand to my waist. I moved into his touch, and hoped I could finally get a good night's sleep. I could tell from Kili's breathing pattern that he was still awake, and I felt him begin to tie my hair into little braids. I smiled as I closed my eyes, and fell asleep.

Dream

My head was in my hands, my eyes were wet with tears. I was in the arms of a man, but he was not the one I loved, and he seemed to be holding me back. Then I saw the casket. Someone had died, someone I was close to. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I looked back to see a shadowed man. My feelings were mixed, I was grieving, and I was relieved, I was angry, and I was terrified. My heart pounded in my chest. This was not the normal dream, I did not feel love anywhere.

And then I did. I felt older, but I was in the same place. The casket was still in front of me, but now someone else stood beside me, whose arm was around me. I leaned into their shoulder and sighed deeply. Tears were running down my face, buy I no longer felt the grief I did in the beginning. Slowly, my legs propelled me over to the open casket. And inside was Kili.

End of dream

"Amariel, Amariel, wake up!"

My eyes flew open, but my vision was blurred. It was still dark, I knew that much, and I was shaking. My cheeks were wet with tears, and the blanket I had been using was tangled around me. As I thought about what I had just dreamed, I choked out a sob.

"Amariel, it was just a dream, you're alright, shhhhh, it was just a dream," Kili whispered as he pulled me into his arms. I buried my head in his shoulder, grateful for him to be there, real, alive. I took a deep breath.

"What time is it?" I asked shakily.

"Just before dawn, Kili answered, still holding me in his arms.

"I'm alright, it's okay," I said as I pulled away. "It was just a nightmare."

I took a few more deep breaths.

"What happened? I didn't wake anyone up did I?" I ask.

"Just me," Kili said, smiling weakly. "And you sort of started, writhing, in your sleep, and and moaning. You tossed and turned a lot before I could finally wake you up."