Chapter One

A/N: There is a brief scene of homophobia in this chapter, I deliberately wanted to make Justin unlikeable and challenge this subject.

'Run.'

That was the only thought that echoed through Catherine's mind.

'Just run.'

Her feet pounded against the hardened forest floor as her heart hammered against her chest, the air from her lungs caught in her throat as her blood-red hair whipped violently against her face. She ran. Ran with the desperate need to survive, her body carried her as fast and as far as possible. The cool breeze of the night brushed past her as she moved and the large towering trees that surrounded her zoomed past her vision, the icy-cold bullets of heavy rain pelted against her bare skin and the sound of crashing raindrops drowned out the noise of her beating heart and laboured breath.

'Don't stop.'

Her vision was unaffected by the blinding darkness of night, even with the dull and hulking rain-clouds that consumed the night-sky, her sight was perfect. She could focus through every raindrop, look past every tree, discern every dark shadow cast by the woods and see around every corner and turn of the forest that would otherwise distract normal eyes. Her acute eyesight and unwavering concentration allowed her to dart through the difficult terrain with speed and certainty, her body seemed to almost move with confidence as she sprinted, manoeuvring through the dense plantation with the accuracy of a predator chasing down it's prey... only, she was the prey.

The forest suddenly became darker, almost as if a large shadow had been cast across it, the air became heavier and denser as the trees seemed as if they began to arch inwards towards Catherine. A thick black fog started to seep across the forest floor, rising up to her nose and into her lungs, she began to gasp as the polluted air constricted her airways and her knees buckled. The air carried a familiar sent, a smell that caused fear and dread to flood through her body, carrying with it adrenaline and anxiety.

The odour was a vulgar mix of iron like old, dried blood; with a blend of sulphur, rust and a strange hint of something stale, moist or rotten - almost like mold. The pungent smell caused Catherine's head to spin, her vision began to blur and her body decelerated slightly, her heart began beating franticly against her chest as the feelings of terror continued to grow.

A presence of pure evil and foreshadowing doom flooded the forest as ear-splitting tinnitus and sounds of static rung through Catherine's ears, causing her to wince in pain as a loud, screeching voice cut through her eardrums.

"CaTheRiNe!" The voice was not one, but was many voices, speaking in union in different tones and pitches. The voice reverberated throughout her body, carrying pure horror with it as it boomed in her head but then trailed off into repeated whispers.

Bells and static rung through Catherine's mind as the voice spoke, the toxic air that enveloped her was now causing her to hallucinate, the trees began to warp and dance around as the branches began to stretch and reach out towards her like long, spindly fingers. Her lungs continued to gasp for oxygen and it was at this point her left wrist began to burn and itch, she briefly glanced down, a bright red sigil began to brand itself into her skin - an 'O' with an 'X' messily crossed through it, he was close. She violently shook her head and tears began rolling down her cheeks as she continued to hopelessly run but her body was slowly submitting to the noxious fumes that exhausted her, 'The Sickness' he called it.

"CoMe Now cAtHeriNe, yOU cAnt GET aWay fRoM ME!" The voice spoke once more, it's tone was demonic and otherworldly, the branding on her wrist began burning brighter, Catherine gritted her teeth in agony as she shut her eyes.