Chapter Nine

Warning: drug references, alcoholism.

-

Beth and Taylor had finished their meals, Taylor had wiped his plate clean, Beth had managed most of her burger but half of her fries still remained, she couldn't eat another bite though or she might just pop. Beth's stomach swelled with food, she had consumed so much that she felt drained but satisfied, her eyes felt heavy as she fell into a food-coma. Taylor sat across from her, holding his inflated belly, groaning and his eyes drooping. Ferne had found her way back to their table and chuckled at the sight of the both of them.

"You guys enjoyed your food?" She asked, her voice was as happy as ever.

"Hell yeah." Taylor replied, sounding delighted.

Beth smiled at Ferne and nodded as the waitress gathered their plates and empty glasses with expert balance. "I'll be back when ya'll are ready to pay the bill" she said as she placed the bill upon the table and left.

Beth hesitantly glanced at the bill, $85.64 it read.

"Actually, not a bad price." Beth remarked, she was expecting a lot worse but it was a fair price considering the quality of the food.

"How about we split?" Taylor suggested, Beth wasn't about to argue with that and nodded in agreement. Beth reached into her purse and readied her card, she and Taylor scraped together some money and placed $10 tip on the table for Ferne.

Ferne returned to the table for the final time, a portable card-machine ready in her hand and a fanny-pack strapped around her waist, ready to take cash.

"Ya'll paying cash or card?"

"Card, please. We'd like to split" Taylor replied.

"No worries, darlin'" Ferne said as she pressed some buttons on the card-machine and Taylor popped his card in, Beth waited patently until he was done. Beth then did the same and the bill was all paid for.

Ferne smiled "Thank you, all done."

"That's for you." Taylor said as he nodded over at the $10 tip on the table, Ferne's eye's light-up and a heart-warming smile spread across her face, the corners of her eyes seemed watery, like she was about to cry.

"Oh my gosh, thank you so much!" She exclaimed sincerely, as she took the tip and placed it into her pocket, her face had a grateful expression on it as she gathered her well-earned tip.

Taylor and Beth smiled back at her.

"No problem, the food was great, this place was amazing and so was your service." Beth complimented.

"Arw thank you, darlin'. I hope I see ya'll again and enjoy the rest of your day." She said cheerfully as she walked off with a spring in her step.

"Before we leave, I need to use the bathroom." Taylor whispered.

"Same." said Beth as they both left their tables and navigated their way over towards the bathrooms.

Once they finished, they left the restrooms and made their way back to Beth's large, black land-rover, they strapped their seat-belts in and Beth started the ignition, the hulking vehicle roared to life, the radio switched onto a news-station but Beth quickly plugged her phone in and her player-list began blurring.

'Sweet Dreams' - By Marilyn Manson began playing.

Beth reversed the vehicle and they once again hit the road, continuing their journey deeper into Tomahawk.

~~~

A little while passed by and Beth finally reached Taylor's neighbour-hood, aligned along the road were small road-houses, the exterior of them where white wooden panels or brick and most of them had pointed tilled roofs, the neighbour-hood was quiet and lifeless compared to the busy centre of the city. Birch and pine added a pop of colour to the otherwise bland neighbour-hood. Beth drove until she pulled up to Taylor's house, his house was much smaller compared to the others, and was pretty nondescript.