prologue

"If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry." - Anton Chekhov.

"Do you, Gregory Mariano, take Celestine Maria Irene Romualdez Marcos as your lawfully wedded wife. To cherish and to hold in sickness and in health, in calmness and in the storm. To honor and to comfort. To love her today, tomorrow, and for as long as the two of you shall live?" Cardinal Verda looked at Greggy.

He breathed in, "I do." He breathed out.

Cardinal Verda turned his head to Irene, "Do you, Celestine Maria Irene, take Gregory Mariano Benitez Araneta, as your lawfully wedded husband. To cherish and to hold in sickness and in health, in calmness and in the storm. To honor and to comfort. To love her today, tomorrow, and for as long as the two of you shall live?"

"I do." She muttered under her breath as she felt her whole world collapsing into the ground. His eyes met his, cold.

She heard him sigh and straightened his lips.

"By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. Mister and Missus Araneta." He paused to smile at the couple, looking at them each on the eye.

"You may now kiss your bride." The cardinal smiled at them, not knowing what the wedding was really for.

Greggy and Irene faced each other with him hesitating to lift up her veil. She gave him one little nod, permitting him to do so. He took the veil to his hands, lifting it up slowly, and rested it behind her head.

Now that her face was revealed, he took a glance at her lips before his eyes laid on hers. Everyone held their breaths, anticipating on what he'd do next. And as he placed his hand softly on her face, dipped into her level, and alas... kissed her plump, glossy lips.

It was quick and sweet, but they both knew it meant nothing. Maybe.

And when he pulled back and opened his eyes, it was just then when they heard the loud applause of everyone inside the Sta. Monica Church. They both graced the long aisle, people throwing flower petals and rice as they passed through the many rows of the Church.

The lavish reception was held at Fort Ilocandia, a resort built just for their celebration and for their guests. The most prominent families of every industry were present as missing the Marcos-Araneta nuptial would be a massive stain to their social status.

To quote the famous entertainment magazine covering their engagement, "This is the wedding of the century. Only the best of the best could only be invited to this event."

The newly weds sat on the big white couch in front of the dance floor, their closest friends and family giving them a congratulatory speech.

Irene's head was swirling from the amount of people present. He noticed that she was quiet and pale even through her pink gloss. "Okay ka lang?" He asked her softly.

She turned her head and nodded, "Yeah..." She straightened her back. "Sure?" He asked again.

"Mhmm..." She hummed and looked at the person speaking in front of a microphone. Just in time for Bonget to finished his speech, she smiled.

"All I could really say is... Take care of my sister, treat her right, and don't hurt her, ha?" He chuckled, "Anyhow... Welcome to the family, Gregs." He raised his champagne glass, "To Mister and Missus Araneta, everyone." He smiled.

"To Mister and Missus Araneta." Everyone else chanted and smiled at the couple in front of them. Flashes were all over the venue and for someone who doesn't smile a lot, he was getting used to smiling, even when it hurts his cheeks.