Chapter Five: Hatter.

----♾----

Previously:

"Mally, just Alice and Anna please," said Hatter picking up the hat and started walking, ducking when a teacup came for his head, smashing in front of us causing Mally and the heir to laugh hysterically.

----♾----

Alice and I are riding on hatters hat... I hope that doesn't sound too weird. We're going through another forest; or perhaps it's the same forest... just a different area.

Hatters talking, I'm not paying attention to the words, I'm just listening to his voice; his hoarse deep voice, I like it. Wait what?

I see Alice climbing down to his shoulder. "Sorry what was that?" She asked.

"What was what?" He asked back.

I decided to climb down on the other shoulder, I hope he doesn't mind.

Alice didn't respond.

The Hatter went on and talked about the Jabberwocky. Talking in riddles. Mentioned the Vorpal Sword. Telling us a story.

"It's all about you, you know," he finished, looking at Alice.

"I'm not slaying anything," Alice told him. "I don't slay, so put it out of your mind," she continued.

All of a sudden he stopped walking.

He grabbed Alice and put her down but left me where I was. He got up and started walking away, leaving Alice there.

"Wait," she said.

"Hatter, stop. You can't just leave her there!" I said, but he ignored me.

"You can't leave me here," Alice repeated my words, stopping Hatter; he listened to her.

He turned to face her. "You don't slay," he said. "Do you have any idea what the Red Queen has done?" He asked.

"You don't slay," he repeated.

"I couldn't if I wanted to," Alice explained.

"You're not the same as you were before." He said, walking back to Alice kneeling down. "You were much more... muchier, you've lost your muchness."

"My muchness?" Alice asked.

"In there," Hatter said pointed to her heart. "Something's missing."

"Tell me what the Red Queen has done?" Alice asked him.

Hatter shakes his head. "It's not a pretty story."

"Tell me anyway," Alice begs.

Hatter was silent for a moment. "It was here," he realised. "I was Hatter to the White Queen at the time. Hightopp clan have always avoided court," he paused, remembering what happened.

"Hatter. HATTER!" Alice said to gain his attention.

"I'm fine," Hatter said, a sad look in his eyes.

"Are you?" I asked, to make sure.

Hatter looked around. "Did you hear that?" He asked out of the blue. I shake my head 'no'. "I'm certain I heard something," he said.

"What?" Alice asked, also looking around now.

"Ooh red knight," he said, picking Alice up and putting her in his pocket as he started running away. I hold on to his collar tightly so I don't fall.

I now hear the dog barking and metal cluttering behind us. Hatter keeps running, as fast as he can. He swiftly hides behind a tree as they run past not bothering to check for us; thanks to the bloodhound. Once they've past, Hatter keeps running.

We came across a pond, on the other side is a tree by itself. Hatter takes off his hat and places Alice and I on it. He instructs Alice and I to find someone and take us to the White Castle where the White Queen is. "Hold on tightly," he says and I grab the fabric as he throws us across the pond.

We land harshly on the other side near the tree. We look over to see the red playing cards (red knights) surround Hatter and take him away.

It's getting dark.

"Quick, Anna, get under the hat," she tells me. And we lift the hat slightly and crawl under, hoping we'll be safe for the night.

Soon morning came, I know this because light peeked through under the hat. I heard sniffing and it woke Alice up; being on guard she got up as she saw a nose come under the hat and lifted it off us.

"You were supposed to lead them away, the Hatter trusted you," Alice said.

"They have my wife and pups," the dog explained.

"What's your name?" I asked, it's been a while since I last spoke; all this is overwhelming, I wish I said more to Hatter; I shake my head to rid the thought.

"Bayard," he replied simply.

"Sit," Alice commanded, and he sat... he's trained.

"Would your name be Alice by any chance?" He asked addressing Alice.

"Yes, but I'm not the one everyone's talking about," she said.

"The Hatter would not have given himself up for just any Alice," Bayard explained.

"Where did they take him?" I asked curios. I know he's talking to Alice but I need to know.

"To the Red Queens castle," he answered.

I look at Alice, and she looks at me... with a look I've never seen before but I think I know what she means.

"We're going to rescue him," Alice told Bayard.

"That is not for told," Bayard replied.

"I don't care, he wouldn't be there if it weren't for me... us," Alice said looking back at me then to Bayard.

"The Frabjous day is almost upon us, you must prepare to defeat the jabberwocky," Bayard told Alice.

"From the moment I fell down that rabbit whole I've been told what I'm to do and who I must be, I've been shrunk, stretched, scratched and stuffed into a teapot, I've been accused of being Alice and not being Alice, but this is my dream, I will decide where it goes from here," Alice ranted.

"If you divert from the path-

"I've made the path," Alice cut him off walking towards him as he bends down.

She climbs on his back and gestures for me to do the same; I do.

"Take us to the Red Queens castle Bayard, and don't forget the hat," Alice commands.

Bayard gets up and grabs the hat; we start for the Red Queens castle.

----♾----