6.

Kayla's pov

I stayed up way too late. I was up all night watching cartoons and movies. I did a bunch of things, some I don't remember. I do remember that I have my date with Aris tonight. My shift ends at 5, so by the time I get home I'll have 3 full hours to get ready.

I'm just still surprised I even got the date. Why would he ask me? I mean he probably has the whole state fawning for him. That's where the doubt comes in. He most likely just wants to hook up. 

I hope that's not the case. I don't think it'll be anything. Though I just don't want someone to use me. Not again. 

I finished getting dressed for work and grabbed a muffin on the way out. I opened my phone to see my call history was open. My eyes widened when I saw Aris' name at the top. Memories of last night flood my brain. No, no, no, no. I can't go to work. Nope. Nah. Never. I can't. 

Why did I do that? Fuck! Maybe I can still call off work I still have an hour. I quickly sent a call to Mr. Harrison that I'm sick. He believed me and gave me a day. I let out a relieved sigh as I plopped onto my couch. 

How am I going to get through this date?

Aris' pov

There was a knock at my door for Harrison's daily report. Whose not here, who was late, things like that.

"Only one person isn't here. Kayla Richardson. She called me an hour before her shift saying she was sick. I let her have it but I don't think she really is." he said before leaving. Jeez he didn't even let me say anything. 

Though why isn't she here? She was perfectly fine last night on our call. It could be allergies. I hope she's okay. Should I call her to ask? No Aris you shouldn't. Stop worrying about this girl. I took some deep breaths and got back to work. 

~~~

Throughout the day I couldn't help but be worried about Kayla. I hate how worried I am. I'm already playing into my sister's hands. If she found out I'm considering this whole relationship thing she'd never let me hear the end of it.  

I've had to lock my phone in the drawer so I don't call her. I don't know what's going on with me. I've never felt like this. 

Maybe I need to call off the date. I can't afford to have any distractions. I need to focus on what I'm set out to do. I need to focus on the mafia. I'm putting everyone's life at risk by entertaining a relationship with Kayla. Including Kayla's 

And if I really care about her then I'll let her be. One date shouldn't hurt though. I'll let myself be happy this one night. That's it. After that it's done.

I can't let myself do this. Fuck what is wrong with me?

Naomi's pov

My shit, little brother has been moaning and groaning ever since he can home early for work. "I can't date her." "I'll be everyone's life at risk" "Blah Blah Blah Blah"

"Can you shut the fuck up and stop pacing? I'm going to throw a knife in your calf." I spat. He stopped and turned to face me.

"I don't know what to do, Naomi. I feel like I'm going insane." he said. 

"Maybe you can stop being a fucking baby and just be with her. It's obvious you like her cause you wouldn't be this annoying. Please I have a headache." I said rubbing my temples.

He did this same thing in college. Freshman year. He bitched and whined all about this bitch named Madison. I told him this time to leave her be because she radiated bad news. Didn't listen. Bite him and everyone in the ass. She was apart of another warring gang.

Yet this girl to me feels different and I haven't even met her. I wish he would just listen to me.

"Alright let's talk." I said. Truthfully Aris is more emotional than I am. He's just not in depth with his feelings. So ever since we were kids I was his "therapist." Mainly because he refuses to get a real one.

I sat on the couch and Aris laid his head on my lap.

"Talk." I said.

"I feel like I'm going insane. I've never really liked a girl. Madison doesn't count. Yeah I was hurt, but I was young then. To me then she was just a good fuck. But Kayla is different. She's actually a little. I felt at peace when she called me last night." he said.

Aris is a 'daddy' for the reason that he's emotional. He's like our dad. They're both big softies and like to act like they're just so cold and have no feelings. He can't handle all the big punishments. I on the other hand can. Though I'm still a mommy to balance out that side of me. I wish he'd just talk about his feelings. I have a therapist and it was the best decision of my life.

"Then date her you little shit. Not everything has to be about the mafia. Look at Uncle Sin. He was fucking all the time and then he found Auntie Lia and he dropped it all. He found someone that made him feel the way you're feeling now. Same with dad. Yes you have the mafia to worry about and the company. Though you need to worry about yourself too. I know Madison put you in a bad place and you're distrusting, the shit with our brother being killed and our mother almost. You have to let yourself live Aris." I said.

It hurts me how much he doesn't let himself live. It's annoying at the same time. He'll love a girl and still push her away.

"I hate feeling like this." Aris whined.

"I hate you like this too. You just need to get over yourself. Stop building walls. Not everyone is going to try and kill you." I said.

He mumbled something under his breath.

"Maybe you're right." he said before sitting up. He ran his hand through his hair and walked off. He's not going to listen to me.