22 - When In Doubt, Pinkie Out

Scott spoke again. "Please say something."

He'd never felt so nervous and he didn't know why. Whatever response Alex gave would determine his fate. Alex or Mitch? The fact that Scott weighed this out made him want to punch himself in the face.

Alex had stopped in his tracks. He looked at his feet and wrung his hands lightly. He looked up at Scott and into his eyes. Alex's heart was racing.

"Scott, I—" Marimbas pierced through Alex's unsteady voice. Scott groaned, realizing it was his phone. He pulled the phone out of his pocket and saw Mitch's beautiful face on the screen. Do I answer it? Scott looked up at Alex. Alex's face dropped to a frown as he saw the familiar picture on his phone.

"I'm sorry." Scott swiped dismiss on his iPhone and turned the ringer off. "As you were saying, Alex?"

"Wow..." Alex realized that Scott was ignoring Mitch. This confirmed his answer. "I'm willing to give us another shot if you want." A smile flickered across his face and he reached for Scott's hand.

"God, yes." Scott's spirits lifted and he pulled Alex into him. "I promise you, Alexander Kirk, you are mine." Scott gently kissed Alex on the lips and pulled him into his body, embracing once again.

—-

Mitch sighed as he heard Scott's voice mail come through the speaker. "Scotty!" Mitch groaned and he threw his phone against the couch. He'd promised himself that he wouldn't call or text Scott, but he was desperate. He grabbed his head in agony. This was possibly the worst migraine of his life, and not even his pain medication would get rid of it. He had hoped he could have caught Scott before he came back home so he could grab some lavender oil from Sprouts. He figured that his date was going well, so of course he wouldn't want to talk to him. The only thing he could think of was to call Kirstie. When she didn't answer, he sent a text message to Esther.

Mitch: ESTArose... please save me.

Esther: What's wrong, baby doll?

Mitch: Migraine from satan

Mitch: Need life support

Mitch: dying

Esther: You're such a drama queen.

Esther: What do you want me to bring?

Mitch: Lavender oil PLEASE

Mitch: I NEED IT. I NEED IT.

Esther: Calm down, Spongebob.

Esther: When in doubt, pinkie out.

Mitch: THX kbye i'm at home. <3

By the time Esther arrived, Mitch was counting the time his head pounded in one minute.

"Esther, my head pounds seventeen times per minute. Please tell me you brought me some drugs?" Mitch groaned.

"Of course I did." She laughed. "Why on earth do you have a migraine?"

"I don't know. Stress? Things have been rough." Mitch watched with one eye as Esther opened the bottle and fixed some up in his diffuser. She also walked into the kitchen and made a bowl full of hot water, put a few drops of the oil in the water, and brought it over to Mitch with a wash cloth underneath it.

"You've been through a lot." She frowned. "Anything you want to talk about?"

"Nothing you already know." He chuckled lightly. "I'm an open book."

"Eh." She leaned back against the couch. "Not really. I mean, I know there's got to be more bugging you that what just happened with Travis. Of course, that's going to persist for awhile but it just seems to me like there's something else wrong. I could tell when I came to visit you in the hospital. You were really quiet. Normally we can't get you to shut up."

"I can't help that I have a beautiful voice." Mitch smirked. "I'm kidding." He sighed and slowly inhaled the hot water. Should I tell her? What harm would it do? I need someone to know my problems. Kirstie knows, but she doesn't ever talk to me about it as much. Maybe she'd find Scott and I as a thing a weird situation for her since we're such good friends. I wonder what Esther would say?

"Mitch?" Mitch had been silent for a minute.

"Oh." He paused. "I'm conflicted."

"I gathered that much." She smiled. "Tell mother Esther."

Mitch smiled back at her. He set the hot water down on the table next to him and leaned back gently, holding his ribs as he sunk in the minor discomfort.

"Scott and Alex." Another pause. I can't tell her my feelings. I'll lie, but I'll get the same information. "I'm just scared that things are going too well and that I'll lose him."

"You won't ever lose that boy. You guys are too inseparable to let a boyfriend steal your friendship." She put her hand on his leg. Mitch had no idea that she knew exactly what he was doing with hiding the actual problem.

"I don't know. I mean, I believe you but I don't. I feel like I should know Scott better. His relationships are something I don't normally take part in. I feel like I don't even know Alex as well as I should."

"It wouldn't hurt to befriend him, too."

"Yeah, but a part of me doesn't want to like him." Mitch laughed. "That's so selfish of me. I just don't want to lose my best friend and my roommate, God forbid he decides he loves him enough to move in with him. Alex lives alone. He could do it. I'd be alone forever... a boy and his kitty." Mitch scrunched his face up and one hand shot up to his head.

"I think you're all wrong." Esther gently moved Mitch so he was facing away from her and she gave him a light back massage. "Tell me if any of this is hurting you."

"Okay," Mitch spoke quietly. He leaned into the massaging motion Esther provided on his back. "How am I wrong?"

"Scott cares about you more than you'll ever know or see. While you were in the hospital he did everything in his power to make sure you were comfortable. He called your parents. He almost got arrested for you. He made sure you had the best doctors, and would stay next to you until you woke up. He's lost sleep over you. You can't tell me that he doesn't care for you."

"He may care for me as a friend, but I feel like that won't be enough when they finally start getting deeper into their relationship."

"When they do, Mitch, he'll include you. You will be a part of his relationship in a sense. He won't leave you out." She smiled. It was interesting for her to play along with Mitch, who was clueless to her knowledge. She'd also spoken to her brother a few times and she knew the other side of the spectrum, which confused her as to why Scott was so involved with Alex. Both boys were absolutely blinded by each other so that they couldn't see what the others could see. But she and Avi agreed that they weren't going to pry. It was a situation that time had to handle on its own. Mitch felt he was running out of time. For Scott, time had just begun.

—-

Scott ended up spending the entire day with Alex, catching up and goofing off around town. He almost stayed the night with Alex but he told him he was still caring for his best friend. Alex said he was okay with this and with a kiss, Alex left Scott at the apartment. Scott walked inside, realizing it was 10:30 at night. He hoped Mitch would be awake so he could tell him about his day.

Scott opened Mitch's bedroom door and saw him sound asleep. Scott's face fell slightly, sad that Mitch looked so peaceful and he didn't need Scott to lay there with him. Scott was about to turn around when he heard Mitch lightly whimper.

Scott smiled and quietly stripped down to his boxers. He slipped under the covers and gently took Mitch in his arms. "It's okay. You can sleep now."

A smile came across Mitch's lips as he sunk into Scott's arms, finally able to sleep without a nightmare.