34 - He Was See Through

Mitch woke up on Saturday morning the happiest he'd ever been. He was well aware of a few things now. He was in love with his best friend. He knew his best friend had the same feelings towards him. He and Scott had provided the final song to PTX Vol. III. He was positive that the rest of the band would fall in love with the piece. He was going to confess his little secret. Despite his happiness, he was actually petrified. He'd spent quite some time dancing around the truth. He'd gone through a lot over the past few months.

While he brushed his teeth wearing only his pants he looked in the mirror at a few small scars on his chest and ribs. He was completely healed from his incident with Travis, but it was something that he'd remember forever. He had plenty of evidence and haunting memories to remind him of it daily, but he'd begun pushing it out of his mind as often as he could. Scott helped him forget as best as he could, too. There were some moments since he'd come home from the hospital that Scott would find Mitch sitting in the living room and staring at the wall with his head in his hands.

"Mitch." Scott walked in front of the spot on the wall Mitch had been staring at for the past five minutes but it didn't disrupt his vision. Scott squatted down in front of him and met his gaze. "Hi."

"Hi." Mitch seemed like he was looking right through Scott. He looked lost and conflicted.

"Do you want to talk?" Scott got on his knees and sat down on his feet. He was about five feet away from Mitch.

"Not really. S'nothing to talk about." Mitch lightly shrugged and refocused his gaze to the floor.

"Of course there is. Please don't shut me out. I know you're hurting and conflicted and scared, but you don't have to go through it alone." Scott leaned forward so he could try to see Mitch's brown orbs once again.

Mitch didn't respond. His eyes lightly narrowed as he tried to fight back some tears. He hated confrontation, and when he was confronted about something tender, he couldn't help but grow a bit emotional. He wasn't sure why he was crying. It was kind of like a comfort reflex. When you don't know how to feel, the tears just spill.

Scott noticed that his friend was about to be pushed over the edge, so he simply stopped speaking and found the seat next to him and put his arm around his shoulder. Mitch lost it and twisted his body as best as he could with his broken rib and found a soft spot on Scott's shoulder to cry on. Scott held Mitch while his body violently jerked with his sobs and gasps for air. He rubbed a steady motion on his back and continued doing this until Mitch's sobs began to quiet down. He leaned in towards his ear and whispered. "You're never going to be alone. Not now. Not ever. I'll protect you."

Mitch looked in the mirror and spit his toothpaste out in the sink and came back up with a smile. These scars held new memories of Scott and how he made promises. Scott was good at unintentionally taking bad memories and making them memorable in a good way.

Mitch carefully selected a t-shirt and matching cardigan from his closet and went back to the bathroom to moisturize and put on some make-up. He turned on a Taylor Swift playlist and began dancing in the bathroom.

Halfway through Mitch's process, Scott woke up and made his way to Mitch's bathroom. The door was open, so he leaned up against the door frame and admired Mitch's adorable dance while he rubbed some lotion onto his face.

"You must have been up for two hours already." Scott spoke in a sleepy voice. He chuckled and crossed his arms across his chest. Mitch jumped at the sound of Scott's voice. He didn't turn around but he shifted his gaze in his mirror to see Scott standing in the doorway in nothing but his boxers.

"Girl, you can't do that to me!" Mitch grabbed his chest with his right hand and continued to rub his face. "Go put a shirt on, you're making me nervous." Mitch spoke in a jokingly (but not really) seductive voice.