1 - Our Bacon the Love We Keep

"This isn't working," Mitch grumbled under his breath. He flipped his pencil over and erased the line he had just written in his notebook. He was trying to come up with some new music for Pentatonix, along with using the new music as an outlet. Once he was finished erasing the line that he thought matched his previous two, he set his book aside and picked up his Elmo mug and took a sip of wine. At that very moment, Wyatt, his sphinx kitten, jumped up in his lap and curled up into a ball.

It was the perfect time of day. It was eleven oh three in the morning. There was a gentle breeze and a calming nature that inhabited the outdoors. Mitch had a favorite writing spot: on the outdoor patio on a bean bag at the apartment he shared with his long time best friend, Scott Hoying. This was his place to come to write, to take naps, or to have the feeling of enclosure be relieved.

Scott Hoying. Mitch had been trying to fight the feelings that had been bubbling up about this man for the past few years. Mitch and Scott were best friends and had been inseparable since they first met in a production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at age ten. From there on out they had gone to high school together and, along with their best girl friend, Kirstie Maldonado, created the infamous trio of Martin High School in Arlington, Texas. These three were adventurous dreamers together, performing together as much as they could. They sought to pursue their dreams and formed Pentatonix. The threesome became a fivesome, adding Avi Kaplan and Kevin Olusola to the mixture. Life was beautiful for everybody. It wasn't until the band participated in The Sing Off that Mitch began seeing Scott in a new light. He remembered it like it was yesterday.

"Come on, Scott! We've got to go rehearse!" Mitch called to his blonde friend. He watched from afar as Scott was deep in conversation with a brown haired boy from The Dartmouth Aires. To Mitch, the conversation had lasted for much longer.

"Someone pull him away before he starts kissing the guy," Kevin said, nudging Avi in the side as they exchanged looks and laughed.

"Just leave him be for a bit. We can work on our harmonies underneath." Kirstie smiled and tugged Mitch's arm lightly. He stood there like he was frozen in time. For some reason he became uncomfortable with the idea of Scott flirting with someone. He's always been a super flirtatious guy, so why should this time be any different? This shouldn't have bothered Mitch as bad, but in this very moment he was just afraid that he'd become much smaller compared to everyone surrounding them. That's MY Scott, Mitch thought to himself. He wanted to move towards them and interrupt but Kirstie wouldn't allow it.

"That's my Scott." This barely audible sentence left Mitch's tongue and it caused a lot of trouble and a light tension to fill his chest. Mitch looked down at the sleeping kitty in his lap and scratched him gently behind the ear.

"Who's your what?" A raspy deep voice broke through the calm silence, making it only more frightening, yet better at the same time. Mitch quickly snapped out of his hopelessly romantic mode and turned his head to see a shirtless, beautiful blonde haired boy.

"Oh, nothing." Mitch chuckled. "Good morning, Stephanie."

"Morning, Michelle."

"DEEJAY!" Scott croaked. He let out a bellowing laugh and Mitch joined, startling his sweet kitten.

After their laughter cleared, Scott invited himself next to Mitch on the bean bag. Mitch moved over gently as to not disturb the sphinx any more.

"What's my handsome Mitchy doing today?" Scott put his head on Mitch's shoulder and began squinting once his eyes caught a glimpse of the sun a bit more. "I just woke up. Fill me in on life."

"I was just trying to write a song for Pentatonix." Mitch grabbed his book and opened it up to the page he was writing. He caught himself quickly before he opened up to the page of the song he was writing minutes earlier, God forbid Mitch have to explain himself about why his name and Scott's were doodled together in the corners. He wasn't embarrassed to show lyrics for another song he was writing in the back of the book. "We need an anthem in this next album. Check this out." Mitch made sure he had a hold on his book before letting Scott hold another page and read. Scott read silently while chewing on the inside of his cheek, and Mitch stared intently at Scott's face as he tried to decipher what he thought about the song.

I have waited a thousand years,

And now that tomorrow's here,

I will shout from the mountain top.
Our hearts belong near.
Our bacon the love we keep,
But when we unite,

This will all have been our dream.

Mitch waited impatiently for Scott to read his thoughtful words. Mitch was reminiscing on the feeling they had instantly after they performed Eye of the Tiger on The Sing Off. The feeling was so surreal, as if they had just taken a metaphorical flight.

"Well?" Mitch leaned into Scott a little and continuously went back and forth to shake the answers out of him. Scott had a big grin on his face.

"Are you hungry?"

"What?" Mitch was taken aback. "Girl, I just poured out my feelings towards you four and our lives and you ask if I'm hungry?"

"Mitch, this was beautifully written, but if you misspell the word beacon to bacon, that's your stomach crying out for food." Scott rubbed Mitch's stomach and stood up, leaving Mitch on the other half of the bean bag. The boys laughed and Mitch set his book down and gently placed his hands underneath the slumbering babe in his lap. He handed Wyatt to Scott and stood up.

"Touché ." Mitch grinned. "Now that you're awake, let's get food. Please? And then we need to go visit Kirstie."

Scott waited a minute to respond. He looked around him as if he'd lost something, and then inhaled like he was trying to smell something. "Wait. You didn't get me Starbucks." Scott frowned. "Are you breaking up with me?" His bottom lip trembled.

"Oh, sweetie, no! I just forgot! I got so wrapped up in me," Mitch cried. He embraced Scott in a half hug and Scott chuckled.

"You're forgiven, bitch."

"Thanks, twat." Mitch winked and picked up his book and followed Scott into the living room and then they split off into their own rooms to change into their outfits for the day.

Are you breaking up with me? No, my love. I wouldn't dream of breaking up with you in a million years. I can't afford to lose another second with you. I am yours and you are mine. Mitch's mind wandered while he got dressed. It was then and only then that he finally came up with the words to finish the verse he had started earlier for the song that he considered as the breaking point between his invisibility to Scott beyond best friends.

World under my skin there for you to find.
All I've kept within lay before your eyes.

I can't afford to lose another second with you.

I've been waiting a long time.
Can't afford to lose another second with you.

I am yours and you are mine.

I am see through, baby.