32- We Will Be Reunited

"A huge statue, a grandiose Cathedral... the people of Mondstadt clearly spent a great deal of resources and energy to construct them," Dainsleif said, staring at the statue of totally-not-Venti with an unreadable expression and a quieter than normal voice, "But how aware of this was the Anemo Archon on receiving this gift, and how much did he give in return?"

Dainsleif had been mostly quiet the entire time it took Aether to teleport all four of you relatively close to Mondstadt. So of course, the first thing he had to do was question the gods in front of you all. Luckily, it was dark outside thanks to all the running around Liyue and Aether's inexperience in teleporting dropping you all at the entrance of Springvale.

Paimon floated idly as she put in her two cents, "Faith doesn't ask for anything in return though, does it?"

Dainsleif crossed his arms over his chest and huffed, "As long as the gods have a clear conscience about it all, there's nothing I can say about it."

"I suppose the statue can be considered a way of showing thanks to Barbatos, since he helped to free the people of Mondstadt," you mused, "It's something they did entirely out of their own goodwill, by no demand of Barbatos. After all, Mondstadt is the nation of freedom."

Dainsleif went back to staring at the statue with a pensive look in his eyes. Paimon nodded along, "Yeah, what she said! And don't go badmouthing Barbatos when we're about to step into the Cathedral! What if one of the nuns hears you?!"

"Well, there's one nun who probably wouldn't care too much," you mumbled. Aether overheard you and understood exactly who you were talking about.

"Heh, I never specifically said I would enter the Cathedral. I'll leave the three of you to deal with the sisters," Dainsleif shouldered off the part of the mission that required social interaction to the three of you.

Ignoring the confused Paimon, Aether asked, "But aren't you curious about what's inside?"

"You are the Honorary Knight of Mondstadt," Dainsleif stated, using the power of logic, "They will surely allow you to poke into these affairs with their utmost trust."

"And you look like an intergalactic clown," you interrupted him, still helping Aether and Paimon come to a mostly similar conclusion.

"Interga-what-now?" Paimon tilted her head cutely, staring at you with curious, oversized anime eyes.

"You don't think you'd be popular among the sisters?" Aether teased the other blond. You snickered at the thought of a bunch of nuns fawning over a poor, defenseless Dainsleif.

"Correct," Dainsleif didn't seem to get it, "and as our little friend here said... I might say something bad about the Church at any time. When a non-believer steps onto holy ground, the result is never pretty. I have never received the favor of the gods in the past. I don't see any reason I would need it now or in the future, either. That's enough chit-chat, while we've been standing around here, the Abyss Order continues to act."

Big talk coming from the guy who's been doing the most talking out of anybody. You couldn't blame him though, 500 years of wandering around miserably would do that to a guy. You moved things along, not wanting to be stuck here forever, "You two go into the Cathedral, I'll make sure our good buddy here doesn't get any of the sisters to drop their religion for his pretty hair."

Dainsleif gave you a confused look, while the other two didn't seem too bothered. Knowing that you were a magnet for trouble, Aether gave you a stern warning, "Don't get swept up in anything yourself."

You grinned at the blond, "No promises. Oh, and don't bring up the defiled statue in there, okay? It'll force them into action, and there's no way that'd end up well."