Chapter 2: Stressed Out

Chapter 2

"What do you mean they cut half?" Emily asks, her voice dropping as she realizes the severity of the situation. She can't believe she's finding herself in the middle of another incident with a major brand. Her favorite car company, at that.

"Look I tried to argue for you," Cece insists as she shoots a look at the blonde on the couch who is sitting upright, staring down at her trembling hands. "But that little fight of yours is blowing up, fast. BMW wants out. They don't want to be linked with someone who could possibly stand for uprooting the system. Most of their factories are filled with slaves. They're willing to offer you a settlement of $500,000."

"And the car?" Emily asks, disappointedly.

"What do you think?"

x-x-x

The car ride home is long and awkward, to say the least. Cece drives, silently, as Emily sulks in the passenger seat. Alison sits in the back, dead quiet. She feels terrible, because if she's following the story properly then Emily Fields is a superstar athlete who just lost half a million dollars and a car—all because of Alison. And the blonde can feel frustration rolling off the brunette in waves. It's only going to be a short matter of time before Emily brutally explodes on her, Alison thinks fearfully. She's unsure if she could handle another grand display of harsh, dominating violence today.

When they pull up to the gate, Alison's mouth opens slightly as her eyes widen. This isn't just a normal house, it's an enormous estate. They drive down a long driveway that circles to the front door, Emily opens the car door before it stops and jumps out as Cece slams on the breaks.

"Jesus Emily don't do that!" Cece yells after her. Emily storms into the house and Pepe, her loving dog, comes running to greet her but she brushes right past him. He whines, annoyed, and trots after her.

Meanwhile, Alison quickly jumps out of the car and opens the front door for Cece as she has been conditioned to for the last five years.

"Oh," Cece gasps as the door opens and she's met with the intimidated blonde who continues to avoid eye contact. "Thanks, but it's not necessary."

Alison just steps away politely and waits for Cece to lead the way. She steals a surveying glance at the house as Cece gathers her stuff. It's huge. Alison has never seen a house so lovely, although it looks as if there are some renovations being done. The courtyard is finished with a large fountain in the drive way circle, and paved patios on either side of the front entrance. From what Alison can see in the dark there are acres of land behind.

"Come on, there will be time for you to see the place later," Cece mutters as she slams the car door shut and Alison jumps slightly. She obediently follows Cece inside quickly and tentatively, though she pauses outside the front door as the older blonde waltzes in. What if she's supposed to stay in a designated place around the back? It wouldn't be the first time she'd been forced to brave the elements with little to no shelter, waiting to be summoned. She makes a quick decision that it's okay to follow the older blonde instead of waiting to be invited inside, and she says a quick silent prayer that Cece won't turn around and slap her for wrongfully intruding.

"Babe you don't need any more to drink," Cece calls knowingly as she continues down the long front corridor, and Alison quickly keeps up as she stares in awe all around. The sound of glasses clattering and cabinets opening must be what alerted the older blonde. But all Alison can focus on is the house- the halls are huge, ceilings are high, the floors are marble, and the place has a rustic beauty to it.

"Leave me alone," Emily growls as she slams a bottle of tequila down on the counter with a loud clink and throws back a shot before chasing it with lime. Cece sweeps into the kitchen and grabs the bottle from Emily but the brunette snatches it back angrily. "Last time I checked you're not my mother."