Chapter 18: Ghost

"Ladies and gentleman I bring you a star's downfall," the snarky radio host is clear and smug and Spencer can just guess where this is going as she audibly sucks in her breath. The tension in the full car mounts, everyone already more on edge than usual. This is the first time Emily is together with all of the others in at least a week. "Emily Field is now America's former sweetheart, and I say former because this swimmer is like a fish out of water in public if that fish had a rocket launcher and an itchy trigger finger."

Hanna rolls her eyes and fingers her sunglasses with one hand and crosses her other arm while Aria sits up a little straighter, staring at the road she drives.

"Thats a little harsh, Ricky," comes the other hosts' more sympathetic voice.

"Really? Listen to this— Fields' team is working around the clock to try and bury this but a fire report from the commissioner outlines the details of the excitement earlier this week. A fire caused by an unfortunate accident destroyed the backyard of Fields' mansion and witnesses say Fields was losing it. Big time."

Spencer rubs at her temples in frustration. Obviously, Mona's forced watered down press release has done nothing to calm the vultures. This isn't the first they've heard of media speculation over the fire and the manager doubts it will be the last.

"She's been under a lot of pressure lately, with Paige McCullers' injury healing nicely Emily is likely to be feeling the heat from her coaches. It's well known McCullers is the better swimmer especially when she's in top form."

Emily grits her teeth in the backseat of the SUV, every muscle in her body tensing with resentment and bitterness. If this guy was in front of her, he wouldn't be talking for long.

"Yes but Emily is much more entertaining," Ricky chuckles to himself. "And really who wants drama free celebrities."

Ricky's cohost tries to turn the argument again, her hesitant chuckle awkwardly interrupting.

"She's become an icon for gay rights and recently has taken on slave-"

"Blah blah, she's also smoking hot, which is more than anyone can say for McCullers. But what interests me the most is the lack of that cutie Maya St Germain, like where is the rich girlfriend at?"

"I'm sure it's-"

"A big cover up, maybe the fires a smoke screen, St Germain's off the scene does that mean the rumours around Field's live in slave are true, do you think the girl found out-"

The other host desperately cuts off Ricky with an exasperated chuckle.

"We'll be right back after this commercial break. You're listening to 96.7."

The radio station switches over to some toothpaste commercial and Aria sighs flipping to another station, Spencer stews in the front seat but doesn't offer any words.

"They're dicks," Hanna spits after the silence stretches on too long.

Aria smiles into the rearview mirror, trust Hanna to get straight to the point. Emily next to the designer doesn't say anything as she stares out the window, pensive and hard like she has been all week.

"Em?" Aria tries gently to get the pensive brunette's attention. Emily blinks but offers nothing else. She doesn't want to talk, her stomach churns as she stews in her self deprecating misery and wishing she could just evaporate into thin air.

"How did the evaluation go?" Hanna asks trying to break the tense silence as she turns to Emily and lifts up her sunglasses. "Are you crazy?"

Hanna grins ruefully and wiggles her eyebrows but the joke falls flat and Spencer rolls her eyes at Hanna's lack of tact.