Chapter 23: Cardiac Arrest

"Ali it's fine, I promise," Emily tries once again to placate the worried blonde who nervously skims her toe along the water's edge. The brunette is trying not to be too pushy, but her eagerness is endearing to Alison who takes in Emily's warm, gentle smile. Emily stands in the shallow end of the pool, very much at home in her natural element as she smiles reassuringly at Ali who wraps her arms tightly around herself. Her bikini still feels very revealing but Hanna has leant her some board shorts for today's lesson and she feels a little less naked in the white shorts. Even still, most of her apprehension is concentrated on the endless blue water, she can't do this, she's not like Emily and the others, she isn't brave or strong, she's just—

"Ali," Emily calls gently pulling the blonde from her troublesome thoughts, Emily has become accustomed to the signs of Ali being stuck in her own head. As much as Emily wants to give the blonde time to herself, sometimes Ali just thinks too much. "Just try, for me."

She adds another winning smile and Ali sighs deeply knowing she can't refuse, because she'd do nearly anything for Emily with that smile. The blonde nods tentatively and the swimmer beams back as Ali slowly slips into the water.

She can stand in the shallow end easily enough and with the water around her waist she doesn't find the experience horrible, just mildly terrifying. Emily chuckles a little as Ali wades closer, her face scrunched up like she's worried the water is going to bite her.

"There you go," Emily encourages as Ali settles hesitantly next to her. "Wasn't so bad huh?"

Alison's face fixes into a frowning pout and Emily laughs again. Ali is too adorable, even when she's scared of something as innocent as the water. Her blue eyes stare pleadingly at Emily for more reassurance.

"Ok swimming is easy," Emily beams sinking lower in the water. "Its all about floating and breathing—"

An amused scoff cuts off Emily's eloquent speech and she turns to glare at Hanna whose sitting at the pool side table with Spencer. The designer looks caught as she catches Emily's displeased look.

"Sorry," Hanna sheepishly grins. "But floating and breathing seems a little obvious."

"Would you like to teach Ali then?" Emily confronts with a raised eyebrow but the little blonde looks terrified at the thought of Hanna being entrusted to teach her. Didn't the girls say Hanna is the worst at swimming? Emily notices Alison's uncomfortable look and subconsciously puts a hand on her back, rubbing soft soothing circles.

"Sure," Hanna chirps happily and Spencer chuckles, never looking up from her papers, Emily's glare turns icy.

"Well you're a shit swimmer so you can't," Emily sticks her tongue out childishly at Hanna and ignores the two laughing at her as she turns back to Ali. "Where was I?"

"Breathing and floating," Hanna calls with a chuckle. The look of frustration that emerges on Emily's face makes Alison hide a small smile.

"You can leave you know," Emily gripes, getting fed up with her best friend. She doesn't want to look like an idiot in front of Alison, though she supposes she's done far worse than this.

"But I'm so amused," Hanna whines with a playful grin.

"Han-na," Emily grits her teeth and Hanna sighs, giving in.

"Fine, fine, I'll keep my mouth shut. Spence and I have work to do anyways," Hanna gestures to the mess of papers littering the table. Spencer stays quiet concentrating on the document in her hands and Hanna gestures towards the studious manager. "We are very busy."

"Can you be busy somewhere else?" Emily sarcastically mutters.

"Nope," Hanna grins happily and Emily rolls her eyes.