Chapter 15: What Have You Done?

Chapter 15

Alison sits anxiously in the front seat of the sedan as Aria cruises through the streets. It feels like a death scene, like she is being brought to her end, and Alison cringes at every mile they take that brings them closer to her sure failure. When Aria had suggested taking a driver's test so that she could freely drive places (ironically, not without Emily) Alison had said yes in an effort to prove that she is capable of responsibility. But now she's not so sure she's capable of any responsibility because she can barely remember to breathe.

"Relax, Ali," Aria calmly instructs with a kind smile as she looks over to the nearly hyperventilating blonde for a quick moment before her keen eyes focus back on the road.

"We've practiced a million times you're gonna ace it."

Alison manages a shaky smile at Aria's enthusiastic encouragement but she's still petrified. They have practiced, they've practiced quite a bit. But what if it's not enough, what will happen when she fails? Will she get another chance? Will they laugh? Will-

Strong hands settle on her shoulders from behind and knead the tense muscles firmly.

"Ali," Emily coos into her ear softly, the brunette's breath is warm against Ali's skin and the blonde almost shivers. "If you fail, you just take it again."

Alison blinks, not liking the idea of failure.

"But you're not gonna fail," Emily adds with a warm smile. "You're the best driver I know."

"Hey," Aria whines petulantly but she's smiling at Alison too.

"Except for Aria," Emily chuckles, winking at Alison who tries to hide her small giggle. She knows Emily is placating her fears, but she doesn't mind because it's nice to have real support.

"You're definitely the best student I've ever had," Aria praises assuredly.

"Hey," Emily mutters jokingly but Aria just gives her a pointed look. There is a good reason Emily still doesn't have a license—the brunette has a bit of a lead foot. That and Emily figures if she doesn't have to drive, she's not going to force herself to.

"We're here," Aria announces pulling into a free spot and Alison's breath hitches in fear.

The DMV looms over the car and Alison gulps staring up at it.

"Knock them dead, Ali," Emily cheers from behind.

Aria smiles supportively and Alison is about to open her door when Emily clambers out of the back and hops out eagerly to open the door for Alison. The blonde looks at her with wide, confused eyes, wondering what in the world her owner is doing.

"You got this," Emily leans in, whispering enthusiastically. She smiles fondly at Alison and the blonde feels a little more at ease before her test knowing that people want her to succeed.

x-x-x

When Alison emerges from the car, finishing up the test, Emily is waiting dutifully inside the DMV door. She watches the instructor walk in with Alison and scribble some marks down on a clipboard before ripping a sheet off and handing it to the ever timid blonde. The instructor mutters some words to Alison who nods and spies Emily waiting in the lobby. She shuffles over to the brunette, a shy smile tugging at her lips.

"Did you pass?" Emily asks energetically and Alison hands her the slip of paper, which Emily reads before her eyes light up. The blonde breaks into a full smile and Emily's brown eyes dazzle with affection.

"You did it!" Emily cries and she picks Alison clean off her feet in a tight hug. "Ali you little genius!"

Emily spins Alison in a circle as the blonde laughs giddily, and Ali still can't believe it. She actually did it and it feels...amazing. Her own victory, though small by other people's standards, is huge to the blonde because it's hers and she did it all by herself. The pride that fills her is a rare and wonderful feeling that she's not accustomed to.