Chapter 13: I Walk the Line

"Isn't this great?" Emily asks as she pulls herself out of the pool and pads over to Alison who balances a fresh tray of drinks that she's just made. The brunette had requested more strawberry water but Alison knows Emily is already tipsy and most likely won't be drinking water for the rest of the night. She can tell by the way the brunette's eyes are slightly glazed over and the way the swimmer is grinning like a fool that she's already feeling the alcohol.

The scent of delicious barbecued chicken and steak floats through the air as Spencer cooks at the outside grill, and Ali's mouth is already watering but she manages to contain her excitement. She nods in response to Emily and the brunette grins cheekily with a raised eyebrow— she knew Ali would love this. Alison places her drinks down and shakes out Emily's towel, wrapping it around the brunette's shoulders and Emily smiles at the blonde in thanks. Ali is always so giving and thoughtful. Alison smiles back, glad that she can be of use to her owner.

"It'll be more fun when I get you in the water," Emily teases as she sticks her tongue out and Alison laughs hesitantly, debating whether or not she should tell Emily there is a major problem with the brunette's plan. She doesn't want to ruin Emily's good mood though and stays quiet. Emily slides closer mischief dancing in her dark eyes and Ali gets lost in the swimmer's intense gaze, it's not predatory but it's certainly appreciative.

"Em, behave," Aria scolds from behind them and Alison is grateful for the interruption as Emily had been approaching her personal bubble. A tipsy Emily is the last thing Alison wants in her face, especially if the brunette trying to get her in the water. Aria sets a tray of fruit down next to Alison's drinks on the table and joins the conversation.

"Ali never comes swimming with me," Emily argues as she crosses her arms childishly. Aria rolls her eyes as Emily pouts like an overgrown brat.

"Not everyone is a freaking mermaid like you," Aria jokes with a smile and touches Ali's arm lightly, trying to calm the blonde. "You have to respect that, like with Hanna."

Emily snorts and Alison tilts her head in confusion.

"Hanna will scream like a baby if anyone throws her in the water," Emily explains with a devilish look in her eye. Alison swallows thickly, hoping the athlete won't do that to her. "You'd think she melts the way she cries about it."

"Yeah she's a terrible sport about you trying to drown her for your own amusement," Aria sarcastically retorts rolling her eyes and Alison wonders if Hanna actually came close to drowning at Emily's hands. "Although, that one time you did ruin her nice dress, Em."

"I bought her like ten more," Emily argues in her defense with a dismissive huff. "And if Ali goes and changes into her new bikini, we won't have that problem."

Emily wiggles her eyebrows at Alison who blushes and nods dutifully, only imagining what Emily is thinking about.

"Oh," Aria exclaims in surprise before she turns to look at the blonde and questions in a cautious tone. "Emily made you get one?"

"No-" Emily tries to answer in protest but Alison interrupts her.

"No," the blonde states gently, avoiding eye contact. She wants to make sure that Emily knows she's trying her best to please her, to show her appreciation. After all, Emily did buy an incredible amount of night lights for her. And those books...Alison's heart flutters strangely in her chest when she thinks of Emily and the books. "I wanted one."

"You should go try it on," Aria suggests with a forced smile and the blonde nods, looking to Emily for a dismissal. The athlete tilts her head towards the house with a kind grin and Alison takes that as a sign to go. But as she walks away, she hears Aria and Emily talking in hushed voices and she winces, hoping she hasn't done something wrong again. She scurries into the house before she gets caught listening in and heads to her room to find her bikini.