𝖊𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙 | ᴘᴀʀᴇɴᴛʜᴏᴏᴅ

【***】

❝𝙿𝚘𝚜𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚝𝚢 𝙳𝚘𝚎𝚜𝚗'𝚝 𝚂𝚘𝚕𝚟𝚎 𝚄𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚛𝚝𝚊𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚢❞

𝒊𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒊𝒄𝒔 = 𝒇𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒉𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌
2 trigger warnings for this chapter.
【***】

tw 1: stillbirth.

"Mom?!"

Luna Suarez was not a good mother.

She knew it, her daughter Mila knew it, her son Mateo knew it, and her unborn baby girl was about to know it.

"Mom, what did you do?"

She was a selfish person. An unreliable person.

Luna Suarez's addiction to heroin bought out the worst in her.

But, in many ways, it bought out the best in Mila.

"Cami,..you have to,..to hang up the phone." Luna's voice was barely audible, it was slurred and scratchy in the woman's throat. She was barely conscious and despite the situation she was in, the only thing she fought so hard for was for her daughter to hang up the phone, "No ambulances.. No cops."

Mila's eyes stared intensely at her mother's slumped figure on the bathroom floor. Her face glistening, strands of straggly brown hair stuck to the skin. Her eyelids drooping low, barely hanging open. The rubber band still tied above her elbow. The needle still sticking out from the vein.

And then Mila's eyes slipped down to dark crimson blood pooling between her legs, which were splayed out on the tile flooring.

Luna didn't seem to be in any pain, the only expression she held on her face was a, somewhat, content smile that was still stuck on her lips.

Mila was eight, not an idiot.

So she knew that blood seeping from a 7-month pregnant woman's vagina was definitely not a good thing, certainly not when it was obvious that said pregnant woman had just injected heroin into her bloodstream.

Luna didn't try to get clean at any point during the pregnancies of all three of her children, saying that the drugs eased the discomfort; it was a miracle this hadn't happened until now.

Luna knew that so long as her children were in her custody, she would receive their benefits from the government and that money would continue to fuel the craving for drug that continued to eat away at her, never satisfied.