Parrish

Chapter 16

"I'm impressed," Argent says as I throw one last punch at the boxing mitts in his hands. "You must've been practicing a lot."

"Yeah, I really want to stop h- these assassins." I breathe out, wiping my forehead. "So what's next?" I ask, my eyes following him as he walks over to the table.

"Defensive techniques." He says simply, placing the boxing mitts on the table and facing me. "So all you need to do is throw a punch at me."

"And let me guess, you're gonna show me how to deflect it?"

"Exactly." He says with a half smile forming on his lips. I raise my arms up and get ready to throw my punch. I take a slow breath before bringing my fist towards his face. In one swift swipe, he moves my hand over to the side. I try again but the same thing happens. "Now that's a pretty easy one for you, as it relies on speed. But if you're fighting against a hunter or someone trained then they will already know about this. And they'll have a counter ready. Throw another punch." I do as he says and he deflects my punch but this time, manages to twist my arm behind my back.

"Ow! Yeah - this one's effective." I cringe before he releases my arm.

"So with this, you'll be able to get control back."

"But how important are defensive techniques if I have superhuman reflexes?" I ask, trying to get the feeling back into my limp arm.

"When fighting a human... not much. But let's say you were fighting the Alpha pack, there's no way you'd be faster."

"So these techniques would only be useful against the supernatural?"

"Not necessarily. If your fighting a trained human, you could use these moves to predict their ones. The trick is to know your enemy. Know what moves they are going to make before they do."

"So I have to be psychic basically?"

"It's called vigilance. Study your surroundings. Study your opponent. And keep your eyes open. Always prepare for the worst."

"Is that why you always carry two guns?"

"You never know when they might come in handy. Just like the other day at the hospital. If I didn't carry two, Kate would've been able to do a lot worse."

"I could've sorted her out. Especially if I knew these moves."

He nods his head softly and looks down to his feet, "But thanks for not going after her that day." He says after a while. "I know you could've. Even without these techniques."

"It was the least I could do." My mind flashes back to that moment, when Argent had the gun pointed directly at Kate's jaw. Finger firmly planted on the trigger. "Would you have actually killed her?"

He stiffens for a moment as his gaze turns hard, "I don't know." He's quiet for a few seconds longer before he shakes his head and turns his attention back to me. "But enough about that. Let's try a few more blocks and then we'll move on to disarming..."

"