,,Chapter Five,,

˜"*°•.˜"*°• ♥♥♥♥♥♥ •°*"˜.•°*"˜

"So," the emperor rubs his temple, "Do you know why I called you here today?"

You rock up and down on your feet at you stand before the emperor. "Uh," you feel so stupid. Here before the most important person on the boiling isles and you stand there twiddling your thumbs.

"I'll answer that question for you. You are here because I know what you did. Or attempted, I should say." You stop breathing when you hear the words. I'm about to get out in prison, or killed, or worse.. I should have never tried to steal hunters staff, stupid, stupid, STUPID!

The emperor interrupts your thoughts before they continue, "You are also here because I wanted to tell you that I like your spirit. I think your talent is being wasted as a healer and you would make a worthy member of my team of guards."

A lump rises in your throat and pushes out a staggered breath as you speak, "..What.?" He lets out an annoyed sigh at your incomprehension. "I find your moxie entertaining and I think you might useful as a guard, do you get it?" He doesn't pause for an answer, "Since you have not had your proper training you will be working as an apprentice under one of our best, the golden guard."

You find Hunter waiting for you at the door after you leave your meeting with Belos. He smiles at you questioningly as you walk out, "Y/n! what was that about?" He asks. "Well, it looks like your going to be stuck with me, goldie." You laugh and explain your situation.

...

Despite your playful attitude towards the situation, you can't help but feel anxious. You've seen how Hunter acts to the other guards, he's so bossy and conceited. You and Hunter just started getting along and you don't want to ruin that.

You don't have time to think of an excuse not to go because your first mission just happens to be in five minutes. The goal was to capture a wild witch that has been causing the city some problems for a while, they were no one of note but the guards have been suspecting that they have ties to the owl lady.

You stand with behind the golden guard as you hide behind a building that is the suspected place for the culprit to be hiding. "How long does this usually ta-" you start before Hunter silences you with his hands. You here the door swing open and see a girl walk out.

Hunter makes a "now" sign with his hands, alerting you and the other guards to get into position. You all jump out and surround the girl with staffs pointing at her. Your grip on your staff loosens when you get a good look at her. She has doesn't look like an evil wild witch, she's a girl your age, 16 or 17, with blonde hair and watery, fearful eyes. You lower your staff and attempt to make peace, "uh," you start to say before the girl notices your weak spot and lunges at you.

She summons plants from under ground and yanks you and other guards away from her, and yells "Abomination rise!" One by one the other guards fall to the ground until the only one left is Hunter. I've never seen someone learn more than one type of magic ..

You pry yourself from the vines and run over to Hunter who kicks the girl down to the ground, disabling her from performing more magic. "How did you.." you start to say but the girl smirks at you, noticing her window. All it takes is your minutes hesitation to allow her to escape, and that exactly what she does.

...

Hunter scowls at you under his mask. After you get back from the mission. "Everyone's dismissed." He looks down, fists clenched. "Y/n, stay here." Your heart drops a beat as you watch everyone else walk out of the room. A cold silence falls between you and Hunter, one that nips at you like frostbite.

Hunter takes his mask of to reveal a face red with anger, but betrayal in his eyes. Does a failed mission really mean this much to him? Why? "Look it was just one mission, it can't be that big of a deal." You start before Hunter cuts in, "No, it wasn't just one mission that we can make up for. Do you know how important that was?"

Anger stings his voice and you feel your temper heat up. "Go easy on me, Goldie, it was my first mission!" You say defensively, stepping closer to him. "We'll you could have at least tried to be less naive before showing weakness in front of a criminal." He scoffed at you and closing the gap between you two even more.

He glared down at you, your fiery expression hasn't changed despite how close you two are. You can feel his warm breath, see the small sunspots on his face as he flares down at you. We're so close.. the thought of completely closing the gap between you two, and giving in to a warm embrace crosses your mind. You blush at the thought before remembering how mad you are.

"Showing weakness?" You hiss, "There is a fine line between sympathy and weakness. Not that you would know, golden guard." You begin to walk away but stop midway through the door. You let out a shaky breath say, "I was just beginning to want to be your friend Hunter. Guess not."