,,Chapter Six,,

˜"*°•.˜"*°• ♥♥♥♥♥♥ •°*"˜.•°*"˜

Present day

You stand in the owl house kitchen washing dishes, smiling softly as Eda cracks jokes to the new recruit. You hear a familiar voice humming as she walks into the kitchen to help too with the dishes.

"Hey roomie!" Luz greets you with a big smile as she plops down more dishes on the counter next to you. "Why the long face?" She pulls up the good of her sweat shirt to reveal to kitty ears, "Cat got your tongue?"

"Wow, that was awful," you laugh at her stupid attempt at a pun, "But... I was really hoping the new recruit would be someone else. I'm fine, just a little disappointed he's not here." Luz's eyes widen with curiosity, "Him?" She inquired before seeing the expression on your face and dropping it.

She pats you are the shoulder before walking out, "Maybe another time." She says supportively, and joins the group on the other side of the door.

Months before...

You sit in your bed and look up at the sky. The cool scent of stone after rain seeps into your room from the open window. I was just beginning to want to be your friend Hunter. Guess not. You groan out loud as you remember the fight between you and Hunter. How could this happen? You were just beginning to get along with him and now...

Another thought crosses your mind as you stare out the window. The criminal girl.. how'd she do that magic? Since the mission, this has been a reoccurring thought in your head. You didn't know it was possible to do more than one type of coven magic anymore.

At the castle, there are a lot of different myths that are told to kids as an explanation of wild magic and witches. You were raised to believe that it was impossible to do more than one type of coven magic. Could this have been just a way to ensure that you wouldn't try it?

...

The next day on your mission, your hunting for the same girl again. And this time, your going to get answers. Hunter commands scoots to look all over the forest and after a while, no one sees anything. Until out of the corner of your eye you see something move. You look around around you to see if anyone else saw, and then you slink away.

The girl is hiding behind a large tree when you pop out and pin her there with your staff. "Don't freak out. Im not gonna hurt you, I swear." The girl blinks at you and you continue talking, "I just want to know where you learned spells like that.." you trail off, realizing that she could use anything you say as dirt to tell the emperor at make you seem like a traitor. "For coven research purposes," you add.

The girl smiles as if she thinks it's a joke, "It's not that hard?" Her voice is hoarse and whisper-like "You don't know how to train yourself how to do other magic?" The girl looks up at you as if your the dumbest witch she's ever seen.

"Hey, it looks like y/n found it." One guard points out, causing all of the guards to crowd around you, patting you on the back, congratulating you on your new find. They speak about her as if she's some toy in a kids cereal box. You loose the girl in the crowd and stay put as they take her away, leaving you behind from the rest of the group.

"...nice work, y/n" a familiar voice says from behind you. Hunter attempts to say the words in a friendly way but they come out quiet and more in a question Manor. He's about to pay you on the shoulder before you give a half hearted, "Thanks," and trout away from him.

As much as you miss his company, you have far too much going on to worry about mending a friendship. There will be other times for that.

...

You look out at the star-filled night sky from your bedroom window, close your eyes and feel the warm night breeze take over your senses. It's a warm embrace, but one that doesn't last forever. It beckons you to rest and whispers in your ear, Put your head down! The night breeze will say, give into your senses and fly away with us!

You are broken from your trance and you hear a knock on the door. Who could be up this late? You wonder to yourself at go to open the door. You unlock the door to find Hunter standing there, holding a see through with two disheveled sandwiches in it. "Uh.." you hesitates, "I brought food?" You sigh at the boy, he's not surprisingly terrible at starting apologies. But then again maybe you were too.

You move out of the way and gesture that he comes inside, you both go over and sit on your bed and look at the window. He hands you a sandwich and you reluctantly start eating. It has just dawned on you how hungry you were, you hadn't eaten all day.

"I always really liked the stars," his sudden honestly catches you off guard, "They make me feel safe, I'm not sure why. I guess I kinda relate to them." You hold back a smile as you look at his dreamy expression, "oh?" You say, confused on what he means. "Well, I mean, they all want to shine as bright as the sun but just can't manage it. Everyone looks at them and compliments them and says they are doing great but... they still aren't as bright as the sun." He looks out at the solar system above, lost in a completely different world.

It is that moment where you finally understand why he got so upset about failing the mission. The sun is Belos.. you feel yourself pull him into a hug. It's long and warm, although, he hesitates at first, he gives in and hugs back. His body loosens up, his fists unclench, and he buries himself in your shoulder.

"I'm sorry, we just met a month ago, I didn't mean to dump all of my pro-" you break the hug and cut him off. "Hunter," you say sternly, "I'm sorry for failing our first mission, I should say sorry for that because that was my fault. This is something you shouldn't say sorry for. You can't help how you feel, and besides, you got lost in the moment. We all do sometimes."

Hunters face turns bright red. "Uh, well, yes. It's getting late now so... I should be heading off now." Before you can say anything he's out the door. You plop down on your pillow and finally give in to sleep.