The Early Sunsets Rant

I didn't write jackshit lately bc I was depressed but I'm back and it's not because I'm not depressed it's just because I don't wanna lose my Wattpad following lol.

~~~

To be fair, My Chem is kinda mid but this one is absolutely outstanding so I'm now gonna tell you why Early Sunsets Over Monroeville is the greatest My Chemical Romance song ever. 

I remember listening to it for the first time and literally crying. I didn't know what it was about or anything but everything about it is literally beautiful. The instrumentals, the vocals, the lyrics. The best thing about it is the breakdown where his vocals just progressively sounds more and more y'know.. hopeless? Distressed? Sad? I don't even know man. But all of these amazing guitarparts and melodies and vocals are just the obvious things.

Then I remember finding out what it's actually about... a zombie movie. Like I was upset. That I'd been crying over a literal zombie movie. But the more I thought about it the better it makes the song. Like imagine being such a great songwriter that you're capable of writing a song about a zombie movie and still make people sob to it. Like that's a masterpiece by definition. 

It takes such a dumb and lazy plotline that no one's ever thought twice about and turns it into something way deeper and something way more emotional. It doesn't only manage to rub your feelings in an effective way, but it also makes you think. Imagine actually having to shoot your lover in the head. Or friend, or family, or whatever, I've never seen the film. But just imagine how hard that'd be. I don't watch a zombie films, but this song is definitely gonna make my next experience with one of those 10 times better. 

The thing is that Early Sunsets puts you in the protagonists head. And being put into a protagonists head is a very base and very simple and very logical thing to do in a piece of media with a plotline. Whether it be a film or a song or a song about a film. But I feel like this case is so different - which is what makes it so great - because a zombie film isn't really the kind of film that makes a big emotional deal even though literally being stuck in a mall with a bunch of dead people biting your friends till the point you have to kill the people you love would probably take a pretty big toll on your mental health, no? They're always just seen as optimal gore tapes for lowlife teenagers sitting in someone's basement drinking lukewarm beer. This song just makes it what it really would be. Y'know, if zombies existed. Which they don't and I think that makes it even better once again. Because how the fuck do you make people feel like someone ripped their heart out via a song about a scenario that'll never happen anyway?

You're a good-ass songwriter, that's how.

And I just wanna mention the instrumentals again because holy shit. Frank captured the vibe perfectly. It sounds like the orangey vibe the mall has. And on top of that it sounds like the orangey vibe the album cover has. It sounds like feeling of hopelessness. It sounds like the feeling of giving up. It escalates, yet it's still repetitive. Like yelling out for help, but nothing happens. I love the way the guitar fades out in the end but Gerard is still screaming. It just scratches my brain so fucking good holy shit, it feels like jacking off but remembering something hurtful someone told you in 2015 as you cum or something like that.