•13•empty lies•

•Rylee•

Today felt off.

Yesterday, we celebrated my birthday, no problem. Everything seemed happy with all the glitz and glitter.

But after Taylor dropped me off, he's been quiet, he seems off.

"Are you alright?"

I looked up finding Manny's eyes staring right into mine, concern written all over his face.

"No. Something isn't right."

He curled his eyebrows, now confused, "What do you mean? What isn't right? Did you and Taylor get into it yesterday?"

I shook my head.

Last night, we were amazing, more than great actually. I know I fell asleep before the movie but we cuddled and it felt good being in his arms.

"Oh my god, he's upset with me for falling asleep without watching to movie with him. He's ridiculous. Over that?"

Manny rolled his eyes, "Honey, no. I don't think so. You guys are stronger than that. Over that? You're being ridiculous."

He dropped his pen into his cup full of other ones and looked at me, "If he's being out of the ordinary, he has a real reason. He's a business man. He's successful, he's a father, he's not playing games, Lee."

Manny is right....but why can't I put my finger on it.

"It sucks. How can I know what's going on when there isn't. He's quiet. This morning after dropping Kai off, he wouldn't talk to me much."

I decided to ignore it and continue working on my project when Miss Catherine walked to our desk.

"Hey, guys. We have a meeting in a few. Head on in there?"

I looked at Manny feeling uncomfortable after everything that happened.

She's his mother and lied to his face for a decade.

Manny knows because I cried to him over wine exploding all this on him.

Taylor's secret is safe because I trust Manny but Miss Catherine is like stepping on her toes.

She tries to be nice. But then again I lost trust in her for what she did to me.

To Taylor.....

Now I sit in her meeting room with our team, Emma was no longer with us...something with better opportunities else where.

"Okay. I know we have had our meeting for this week already. But, I have fantastic news."

Her gray eyes followed us around the room, looking excited as she couldn't contain it anymore, "Pack your bags, children. We're going to Paris, France!"

While everyone in the room was jumping for joy and excitement, I plastered a fake smile because I wasn't feeling it.

"When do we leave?"

"This weekend. So, plan your week out. Finish up those projects and we'll be leaving Friday evening. See you at the airport."

We were dismissed when Miss Catherine's voice erupted the room, "Rylee? Mind staying back?"

Manny grabbed my wrist carefully for reassurance and disappeared with the rest of the group into the office.

I watched the door close and Miss Catherine kept her smile, "You won't mind coming on this trip, considering the circumstances?"

"I'm going for work. Not bond with my boyfriend's mother."

She closed her eyes exhaling as if I stabbed her in the chest with a dull knife.