Chapter 10 - Relationship Over?

As sun and the drama both settled down, Mantu sat in the corner of his room feeling numb. When Amaya left, he silently went inside his room and didn’t even flinch. He didn't know what to do. He was feeling miserable. His own people were ruining his life. He tried calling Amaya several times but she didn't pick up. He has to clear all her assumptions. He was done with these games, plots, pain, heartbreak, miscommunications, just everything. He has to finish this chapter once and for all.

"Badi maa, Uma, Masi; can you all come in the veranda.", he said while buttoning up his shirt. Uma came running as she hoped that he has understood her love and has agreed to marry her. She brought those old ladies hurriedly as well. Uma looked in his eyes but they were cold and expression-less. He was holding a paper. It was crushed and yellowish; looked years old. "Yes beta, why you called us?", asked badi maa politely! "Just wait a minute, badi maa", said Mantu as Chiklu came from his room and said, "Bhaiya I'm going to Rama Bhaiya’s home. Pick me up on time na, bye." Mantu waved him a bye with a smile as he closed the door. "He should not see that a 20 year old friendship is about to break. He will lose his trust on friendship.", said Mantu coldly. Everyone in the room looked at each other. Uma's face saddened. Mantu took a deep breath. "Do you remember this Uma?", said Mantu as he opened a clumsy paper in his hands and showed her. "It was our type of contract we made on the day our parents died stating that we will stand by each other no matter what as family, as friends.

I preserved it as I preserved our friendship. Whenever someone told me that we both looked like a couple I thought they are mad that they see us in this way, I would say no clearly because I thought we have something much above all materialistic relationships, much above these people could fathom. I considered you as my friend, my confidant, my sister… that I never had. I never knew that the fault was in us only. Uma...I wanted to protect you because for all this time I thought that we connect on one thing and that is being an orphan. You always had everything Uma. Everything in your life was same, just the absence of your parents but for me it was all together different. I had to become a father to my 6 month old brother within a day. When it was asked that only one of us can go to normal school due to financial issues. I sacrificed myself so that you can study. I attended special schools. I also missed my friends, my life. You got gifts on your birthday from everyone but I used to save money all year to buy you a gift but never bought a cake for myself. I know these things are small and stupid but to a 13 year old kid it mattered a lot Uma. I am not doing any counting as I did all these things with happiness, with my consent.

I always gave up everything for you, considering that you are my family, my sister, that you would do the same for me... I never ever differentiated between you and Chiklu but not anymore." As he tore the paper in pieces. Uma cried as he threw it in the dustbin. Uma shouted, "Why would you do that!?? Because of that bi...", "No Uma, because of you. Because you never stood by me when I needed you the most, I don't think this contract makes any sense now. I told you. I told you how much Amaya means to me. How much her love and care matters to me. You practically saw me begging in front of Mahadev for her because I never thought that she would love me, when I had that all this time she did love me and you knew it. I told you she is one single person I love more than my freaking life but you lied. You tried to instigate me against her. You snatched her away from me. You made me miserable. Weak. Egoistic and mean.", said Mantu as he folded his hands on his chest calmly.

"But you don't worry, fortunately you have a friend who completes his promises and I promised you one thing, that I will find you a groom and will do your kanyadaan. You will stay in my life till that point of time and then I'll turn my back towards you. Consider me dead for you after that. And yes last thing. Don't ever dare to cast your evil shadow on me, Amaya and our relationship. She is the most precious person in my life, if anything will happen to her either I'll die or I'll kill the person who harmed her, SO MIND YOU." And with that Mantu left his house. Uma slipped to ground crying as Masi consoled her. Badi maa stood up and went into her room.

••••••••••

MATHUR HAVELI
*Knock Knock*
Rama opens the gate only to find Mantu at the doorstep. "Arre, Mantu you! I thought you are busy today and will not come. I also just reached here, 10 minutes before with Chiklu", said Rama as he smiled happily but Mantu was in a bit hurry. Mantu quickly went inside just answering him in monosyllables. "Mantu, why are you in such a hurry.", said Rama as he tried to catch Mantu's pace. "Rama, I am sorry I'll talk to later but right now I need to meet Amaya. It is extremely urgent. Do you know where she is?", asked Mantu continuously trying to find Amaya. "Amaya was in Sneha Maa’s room, giving her medicines and food....but..", Rama told Mantu and before he could complete his sentence Mantu hurried off saying thank you.

"Amaya?", said Mantu as he looked inside Sneha's room. Amaya was no where to be found. "Arre Mantu beta, finally you are here. I was thinking to call you only.", said Sneha as she signalled Mantu to sit next to her. "Why...aunty...is there some work for me.", asked Mantu continuously tapping his feet to run away. "Work? Aree no beta! Why you ALWAYS keep thinking of work. I wanted to say you thank you for your amazing work here. Thank you so much beta, you are always there for us, whenever we need help." "Aunty what are you saying! It is my work! My duty. And you have always treated me like your own son and maa never says thank you.", said Mantu as Sneha blessed him . "Can I ask you something aunty? Where is Amaya, actually I have an urgent work with her." "Yes beta, she is in her room, resting.", said Sneha as she saw Mantu rushing towards her daughter's room.

He knocked the door and it opened. He slowly entered the room and saw no one was there. He entered the room and saw Amaya standing in her balcony looking like an angel as wind caressed her face, it reminded him of the reception night when he saw her in front of the fan looking absolutely gorgeous. He smiles as he closes the door and latches it. Because of the disturbance, Amaya turns and look towards the source of the sound, "Whose this?" And before she could say anything more he hugged her ever so tightly and started sobbing. Amaya hugged him back as she snuggled in his arms...