Chapter 12

The next morning i had a feeling like all of it had been a dream, Draco had never been in this room and we never had a fight

The next morning i had a feeling like all of it had been a dream, Draco had never been in this room and we never had a fight. Or maybe it just felt like it because i was wishing for it to be true so badly.

Draco had kept his promise and didn't talk to me for days, he even left Harry and Ron alone, not randomly insulting them once. When he walked past me in the hallways he didn't even blink, he just acted like i wasn't there while he broadened the space between us. 

I didn't expect it to hurt this much, it's not like we talked particularly much before either, but i couldn't shake the cold feeling of distance.

"I guess she and Malfoy really weren't friends after all" i heard Ron whispering to Harry as i looked after Draco who just walked by me again.

The days kept passing by but it never really stopped hurting. Not even my improvement with the wand in Dumbledores lessons cheered me up. 

I even started canceling plans to sneak to the Astronomy tower at nights trying to talk things over with him, respecting the fact that he probably didn't want me talking to him in school with others around, but he never showed up. 

I watched as the flowers i revived lost petal by petal, slowly dying again as the weeks flew by. 

I kept looking over to him in class the times when he was attending. He had been missing from school a lot, sometimes he was gone for a few hours during class time and sometimes for multiple days. But he didn't dare to look at me once.

I wished i could tell my mom about it so she could give me advice or just hold me. I missed her vanilla scented perfume and the way she'd gently stoke my head when i was feeling hopeless.

After some more time i started feeling okay about it but decided to go up the tower for one last time. 

While i was up there i read the Daily Prophet who've been publishing about my parents. 

"Elaine and Colin Heart all healed up"

"Elaine and Colin Heart attending their first Gala together after attack"

My parents didn't remember me. They were better off for it.

I scrunched up the paper and looked around. The flowers had almost been completely dead. The sight of them made me cry and hurt all over again, making me leave shortly after arriving. 

I wasn't going to go up there to wait for him again. 

I was done.

As i walked out to break after class the next day, i saw my ring lighting up in an orange color caused by my sorrow. 

"I'm going to the ladies room" i told my friends. 

"Should i come with?" Hermione asked in an almost careful tone 

"no it's fine" i tried my best to give her a smile. 

As i walked a few steps away from them i heard her whisper "somethings up with her- she seems so depressed lately it makes me worry". It made me even sadder hearing Hermione being concerned. I should be happy, i had everything i ever wanted: I was attending Hogwarts, i had a wand that was finally working, i had multiple friends who loved me and i loved them. I felt like i was being ungrateful.