The Maze Game

Anxiety filled Asher with each step she took closer and closer to her front door. Looking through the peephole, Asher let out a sigh of relief as she saw Ariane, one of her closest friends who lived downstairs and can apparently hear everything happening in her apartment. Asher had expected her arrival sooner or later, knowing the good friend that Ariane is.

"Everything's going to be okay" Ariane said, enveloping Asher in a comforting embrace.

"How can it be when Zayn and I are over?" Asher replied, her temper flaring.

"How do you know that? Both of you just did a disappearing act on each other." Ariane reasoned.

Taking in her words, Asher started feeling uneasy.

"I hear footsteps" Asher added, puzzled.

Next thing she knew, Zayn was barging through her door! Seeing Asher with her dark eye bags and pale skin, Zayn instantly regretted his decision of abandoning her. Pulling her out of Ariane's embrace, Zayn passionately kissed her.

Ariane left quietly, knowing it's not her place to interfere.

"I swear I didn't mean to kiss him. He just leaned in and did it", Asher said, hurt flashing in her eyes.

"I forgive you", Zayn said.

Before Asher could say anything in defence, Zayn grabbed her hand and lead her towards her bedroom. Closing the door behind them, Asher knew this was the beginning of the advancing chapter she had hoped for.

Although things seem to have improved for the better, Asher was still unsure, still contemplating, still at a loss. She certainly hope her thoughts could move on from Harry. But you just can't control these things. What fate had in store for you, invited or uninvited, it will creep up on you. Could she just accept what fate had decided for her or should she give it a chance, though blindly, throw a dice and decide her own fate? Who's to say that that wasn't fate's original plan?

Asher just couldn't take all these thinking and worrying anymore. She would just let nature take its course, since it seems fate has already had her future planned out for her. Will she be with Zayn or Harry? She and Zayn had history, two years together! To ruin that would be throwing away what they both had now. It wasn't easy to get to this stage in the first place. Could she just forget two years of romance for two minutes of chemistry? Even though they had the same sense of style, she didn't want Harry being a part of her future. But fate has its twists and turns, the future isn't so predictable anymore.

She knew she was turning away from reality, playing the game blindly with only her love for Zayn in her sight. Not even Harry could get in her way if she wills herself to not be affected. What kind of repercussion would it have unto her if she was to act thusly, so unfairly? They did say all is fair in love and war but even then..

Time with Zayn passed rather quickly even with her brain in full swing. Harry soon showed up at her doorstep. Taking caution in what she does, Asher knew better than to invite him in. Turning around when she felt heat radiating from her back, she saw Zayn standing behind her, topless. His lean yet fit body had her feeling fizzy. Asher saw the danger and anger flashing in Zayn's eyes.

"What are you doing here?" Zayn grumbled, trying to control his temper.

"Well hello to you too", Harry said with a smirk.

"Just kidding, I came to apologize."

Zayn looked confused.

"You've already done enough" Zayn said.

"Not quite I say", Harry said jokingly.

Zayn was steaming with anger.

"I'm sick and tired of you", Zayn replied, instantly flaring up, approaching him.

In that split second, Zayn swinged at Harry, throwing a mean left hook. Blood trickled down Harry's chin. Seeing the damage, Harry returned the fist, causing the two to get into a mindless fist fight in the middle of her doorway.

Quickly breaking them apart, Asher took Harry to the bathroom and wiped his face with a warm cloth.

Smirking at the situation, Harry gently brushed his lips teasingly against Asher's, giving her a small peck. She could hear their loud heartbeats and her gasping for breath. Overwhelmed with the sensation, Asher could only stare into his greyish, sea blue eyes.

Realising what she was doing, Asher snapped out of the moment, both frustrated and disturbed because she knows that that 10 second moment with Harry Styles had melted her heart.

"Stop!" Asher said in desperate need to get away from his overwhelming presence.

Why is fate being so cruel to me, she thought.

"I can't come in between you two"

"You guys are like brothers", Asher said sternly.

Dragging him back outside, she commanded them both to straighten things out. As they did what they were told, she spruced herself up and took a walk. At the end of the day, fresh air was still her best companion.