CHAPTER 3: Célystene apparel's new CEO

•••

Third person's POV

"I can't believe you're so desperate to get me back there," Chaewon scoffs at the person on the other end of the call.

[Here at the company, Chaewon-ah, we need your help... We're working on a large project together, and we've concluded that only you can make it a success.]

"Dad, how many times do I have to tell you that I'm not doing it, and who would handle our business here if—"

[I've told you several times that we'll take care of it once you return here.]

"I've already told you I refuse," she grumbled, her patience fraying.

[Chaewon-ah, listen to me, do you think your mother will do nothing if you reject, knowing you're being rebellious yet again?]

After that, they fell silent, and Chaewon quietly tightened her fist. She despises the fact that she can't stand up to her mother, that she can't be free of her control.

"And you can't even defend me against her..."

[Chaewon-ah...]

"Fine, I'll do it on one condition," she says.

[Can you tell me what that is?]

"No, are you with her right now? Can you pass her the phone?" Chaewon didn't want to offend her father by commanding him in a harsh tone, but she couldn't help herself.

On the other line, rustling noises can be heard, and the girl realises that her father has done what she just told him to do.

"Hey, Mom," she said, "you really want this kind of game huh? I'm in, I'll take your offer."

[What do you want in exchange?]

Chaewon describes her mother's communication with her as "stern" from the beginning.

The girl despised the way she began to adopt and even spoke to others in this manner. She believed that she was transforming into the person she despised without even realising it.

"The key in this cell you locked me in, I wanted you to let me go and cut this connection between us," Chaewon adds flatly.

After she stated that, there is a long pause.

[...I'll give it to you if you succeed in running the company—]

"Then we've reached an agreement,"

She hung up the phone and walked out of her office without waiting for her mother's response.

The company's employees tremble at how cold the girl appears, and they all quickly returned to their tasks, not wanting to be seen glancing at their boss.

Chaewon places her hands on her slack's poket to cover her bawled fist as she enters the elevator. She exited the elevator and made her way to the parking lot.

After going inside her car and calling a certain girl she knows could help her, she wears a piece of her airpods. The person on the other end of the line finally picked up after a few rings.

"What's up, yo—"

"Pack your belongings for a three-month stay, meet me tonight at CDG airport, and bring that whiskey lover with you," she ordered sternly.

"Pardon? why—"

"I'll tell you about it when we meet." She hangs up the phone after stating those words. Chaewon started her car's engine and pressed the acceleration pedal.