CHAPTER 9: The nuptial failure

Third person's POV 

Six years ago...

One of the young women was not particularly happy about being wedded to the other woman but has no choice, the other was overjoyed that she will finally be married to the woman she loves the most. The two young women were in front of the altar and were both facing the priest.

"Into this union Hyewon and Sakura now come to be joined. If any of you can show just cause why they may not be lawfully wed, speak now, or else forever hold your peace." The priest said,

The other visitors were all smiling and didn't really want to intervene, so there was a lot of silence. When the priest was about to continue, a girl abruptly entered the room.

"Stop!" the unknown girl exclaimed as she looked down and had her hands on her knees, taking her time to control her breathing. "You said I am the only one you'll be living with for the rest of our lives, the one you'll marry, " She continued and eventually got up properly.

She was greeted by a number of unfamiliar but priceless faces. She lifted her head to find the two young women standing in the alter a short distance away and staring at her bewilderedly.

'Who are these folks even, and did I just storm into the wrong church?' The latter reasoned,

Hyewon, who had finally been looking for a way to escape the wedding, rushes over to the girl and gives her a bear embrace while pretending to be her lover. Hyewon then pulls away and continues with her act.

She said, which caused the girl to blink in perplexity, "I know you'll come and yes, you're the one one I wanted to marry. Let's run away together."

'What the hell is this girl saying, exactly?' The girl pondered .

When Hyewon dragged the unidentified girl along with her as she sprinted out of the church, she prevented the girl from speaking.

Sakura, until then, was abandoned there and left feeling heartbroken and betrayed. She could only stoop and clutch her fist, fighting back the tears that were threatening to well up in her eyes.

'Not only have I lost her, but I've also lost my... freedom,' she concluded.

Hyewon inquired when they eventually exited while being pursued by her father's guards as well, "Do you have a car?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't help you—"

Hyewon begged as the two of them continued to escape, "Please take me with you, I truly don't want to go back there."

Although the anonymous girl wasn't really pleased of her, she was also in a hurry, so she decided to just give her a ride. As soon as she spotted her car, she swiftly pulled her keys from her pocket. She instructed Hyewon to enter the car swiftly, to which Hyewon did so with a cheery smile on her face.

 she immediately pressed the gas pedal after starting the motor of her automobile, completely departing the town. While they were in the middle of the road and the girl was still driving at a high pace,

"Hey, could I have your name?"

"...Chaeyeon,"

"I'm Hyewon by the way, thank you for rescuing me from being locked up for years—or even from spending the rest of my life in a marriage I don't desire."

Chaeyeon adds with a frown on her face, "You could have told them that you don't want it and not have let it go that far."

"I've tried it a lot already, but no one has listened. They've forced me."

Chaeyeon replied, "I felt really bad for your bride there. I had to see how the girl there lost the sparkle in her eyes and how it screams sorrow. She seems to be feeling something for you."

Chaeyeon isn't even sure why she's talking about this with the girl she just met a few minutes ago, their conversation seems to suggest that they are already acquainted.

"I know she does, but we kind of know that before our compelled union, I didn't feel the same way about her." Hyewon sighs,

 The present time...

After the exhausting event, Chaeyeon was driving her new boss home. The atmosphere within the car is chilly, since the incident in the comfort room, none of them had exchanged even a single word with one another.

They finally arrive after a few more minutes, and Chaeyeon immediately exits the vehicle to open the back seat door for her boss. However, just as she was about to do so, Sakura beats her to it and walks past her.

The butler, who was left there dumbfounded, could only watch Sakura's figure enter her home without so much as batting an eye or giving a damn to the maids who warmly welcomed her.

'This girl is really...tch,' pondered Chaeyeon.

She instantly texted Chaewon about securely taking Sakura home after pulling out her phone. Before returning to Chaewon's house to spend the night there, Chaeyeon stood in front of the mansion's front entrance for a moment.

Oh, Chaeyeon-ssi, why are you still standing there? Come inside, and I'll make you a tea, he said, beckoning her.

Chaeyeon graciously declined, saying, "I'm afraid I'd be able to stay the night here and take your offer, Mister Hitozki."

"Have you gotten into a fight with Lady Sakura again?"

The only action Chaeyeon took was to scratch her nape, which confirmed the old man's assumptions.

Mr. Hitozki chuckled and said, "Oh, dear, I already knew the answer. Don't worry about it, come with me."

Before following the elderly man, the woman with the icy blonde hair sighs, she is exhausted as well.

Mister Hitozki cleared his throat before beginning as the two were now seated across from one another with a cup of tea in front of them. "Is it the same matter?"

The elderly man was fully aware of everything that was happening between the two women, but he only knew a portion of their backstories.

"I'm not sure what I should do to get her to at least hear me out, Sir."