Chapter 25

"Are you ready to go?"

Arlo grimaced. "I wouldn't say I am ready, but sure, let's go?"

Rick patted his shoulder. "It'll be fine, I'm sure of it. Plus, I'm bringing her the letter so she can read it. No doubt that'll be her main focus."

"Are you sure that's safe? I mean, isn't it bad for the baby if she gets upset or worked up?"

He pressed his lips together to keep from smiling. "Don't let her hear you say things like that. She'll tear you a new one."

Arlo's eyes widened as he gulped. He mentally thanked his lucky stars that he hadn't told her that in person. The last thing he wanted to do was upset her. Especially considering her friend is working hard at fixing the vase that he broke. That vase may be the only thing that can help him right now. He couldn't very well pursue Rue if he didn't first get a foot in the door. That vase could be his foot in the door. He wasn't prepared to lose that.

"Now, I'll admit that I did consider not showing it to her... for about thirty seconds. Then my mind helpfully showed me different versions of her reaction as she found out about it, about what it said and that I had deliberately kept it from her... Honestly, I almost called to tell her about it then and there, just to avoid any of those arguments. I mean, she would be livid. And rightfully so. She loves Rue."

He tapped the wheel with his fingertips and sighed. "I'll give the letter to her as soon as we get inside. I need her support. It wouldn't be healthy keeping something this big to myself, and I don't think I could do it. Who knows, maybe she'll notice something in the letter that we didn't. Perhaps she'll know how we can fix this.

"Some conversations may be awkward or even painful to have, but I think that as a rule, it is better to be open and share things with each other. Good and bad. There should be no secrets in a marriage. There is no way the other party wouldn't be hurt when they find out they've been lied to.

"So to answer your question, my wife becoming worked up is basically unavoidable. She is a very passionate person and there is no stopping her. She's force of nature, that one. I hope our kid turns out just like her.

"Though she does worry me sometimes, since I don't want her to become burned out. She will not hear of slowing down or taking it easy. If you suggest that she could take a seat and put her feet up a little, she'll give you a whole speech. Especially now in her current condition. She'll tell you how her body is the only thing she'll listen to because this experience is the most natural one there is. She tells me that if she just lets go and let her body show her the way, all will be well. Thankfully, she has been feeling great thus far in the pregnancy, so I am inclined to believe her. Her body, her choice."

Arlo was suddenly glad they had this opportunity to talk and be real with each other. Sure, Rick was his boss and he'd never try to change their current dynamic at work. But he liked Rick as a person, and he'd really like to be his friend outside of work. Plus, he didn't think Rue would be with someone that Rick didn't approve of. Rue may be pulling away right now, but given how close he is with Rick... Arlo just couldn't, no wouldn't believe that a bond like theirs could break like this.

Realistically speaking, he knew that relationships, of any kind, could end quite easily. Not everybody who enters your life are meant to stay for long. In fact, sometimes it makes you feel like nothing in life lasts. But that doesn't mean that you don't wish for it to, desperately. We all want something we can rely on. And he really hoped Rue would change his mind and come back to them. He truly missed him a lot. They may not have spoken much, or with great success, thus far, but whenever Rue entered a room, Arlo's heart squeezed. Knowing he would get to see him was the high point of his entire week. Just thinking about being near him made him feel content and at the same time, it made his heart all fluttery.