Chapter 27

"We have an address." Mica gently told Rue as he began to awaken.

Rue's eyes fluttered as he stretched, forgetting himself and hissed when his injured body protested. He tried as best he could not to let his anxiety spiral, wondering if he'd ever pick up his clay again. How long would it take for his injuries to heal? Would they?

Whether they would or not, he had no time to dwell. There were more important things at stake.

"Who was... who told you?"

"I believe it was a young woman, but I cannot say for certain. The voice was quite hoarse and for all we know, they could have altered it somehow."

Rue sat up straight as he observed the man in front of him. He was looking a little haggard, likely due to his own healing injuries and the stress they'd been under. Still, he was a good-looking older man. Not that he cared about things like that. He could have horns and green skin and Rue would still be in awe. Because no matter his appearance, to him, it was the beautiful soul inside that made him such a wonder to behold. It is rare to meet someone with such a caring and inherently positive personality. He actually found himself feeling hopeful around Mica, even with all that had happened to him. And hope was a feeling he had gone without for so long. There was just something about him. He seemed to have an inner conviction that everything would turn out for the best. No matter what. That there was never a need to worry. As much as Rue would like to be capable of the same, that wasn't in his nature. But if anyone could teach him to let in more hope into his life, it was Mica.

"Have you told anyone?"

"Yes and no. I phoned Jules, the man who saved us. He said he would reach out to his friends who were there that night and they will meet us at the house tonight."

Seeing his apparent confusion, Mica smiled. "Not that house. Not where it all happened. My house, well, mine and James's..." he grew quiet as he listened to the monitor. Unwillingly, he thought back to that night, hearing the young man's heart stop. The staff shouting, Luca trembling. He couldn't help but shudder at the memory.

"Are you okay?"

"Am I..." he laughed humourlessly, "Yes child, I am okay. You are the one who is looking worse for wear, and for that I simply cannot apologise enough."

Rue groaned. "Mica, you're making my head hurt - no, I don't need the nurse! What I meant was, why on earth would you be apologising to me? If anything, I am the one who should beg for your forgiveness. It was you who was dragged into my mess and you were hurt in the process. You have a family and you were almost taken away from them. None of you deserved that."

"And you did?"

He didn't respond. He couldn't.

"You were tricked by someone at my firm. You were kidnapped at my firm. Everything that has happened was done under my name, my company's name. Yes, my son has taken over, but before I had children, this business was my child. It will never seize to be my responsibility for as long as I am alive. That is the commitment I made when I started it. And someone using my business to hurt and con a client seeking our aid, trusting our competence, that falls under my responsibility. It is my shame to bear."

"How about this then? I won't blame myself if you won't blame yourself. While there may be others who are involved in this mess, who are not blameless, but currently nameless, they are not important right now.  The main ones at fault are the kidnappers. They were the ones who endeavoured to kill us, so let's take whatever complicated feelings we both may have and turn them into anger towards them instead. Agreed?"

Mica's eyes danced with amusement as he agreed. It wouldn't be easy, and he would be damned if he didn't make this up to Rue somehow, but for now, he would let those feelings of shame go.