Chapter 34

"Knock, knock. Hi! How are we feeling today?"

"Better, I think."

"My, I think you're right. Your fever has actually broken through and... Yes, your wounds are healing well too. I must say you have recovered very well from all of your ordeals, and the many surgeries to save your life. Doctor was concerned you would not make it. It truly was touch and go there for a while. However," she performed a few minor mobility tests, "it looks like you are doing better than anyone of us could have hoped for. It must be all the wonderful support that you have." She smiled warmly and nodded to where his friends sat on chairs around his and Mica's beds, leaning heavily on each other and keeping watch.

"I think you're right about that," he admitted with a sense of sadness in his smile.

"Was there anything else, dear? I am a very busy woman, you know," she raised her eyebrow snd tried to stay serious but failed completely. " Oh cone on, just ask me?"

"Okay! Okay. I wanted to ask you, will I be able to continue my work? Use my arms again, my hands? If so, when? I miss it so. I don't feel whole without my art. It is as if my heart is behind glass, and I can't get through."

She blinked and steadied herself. Her slightly open mouth curved into a smile. "I see you carry an artist's soul within. That is a good thing. The world truly needs more of those."

She checked the monitor as she removed another vial of blood. "At the rate you are going, I dare say you will. I will of course need to confirm matters with doctor as well to be sure, but if you continue doing this well, I see no reason why that wouldn't be possible. And on that note," she removed the second vial from the CVC and closed the lid. Then she opened it again and injected a liquid. "Here is your medicine. As the pain fizzles, your migraine should too. Press the button if it doesn't, or if you need anything at all. Your fever has broken, so your immune system is no longer struggling to keep you safe. The worst is over." She smiled warmly and patted his leg.

He exhaled deeply with relief.

Righh before leaving the room, she turned around and narrowed her eyes. "You know that visiting hours ended hours ago, right?"

"I know that ma'am... miss!" He placed one of his legs over the bed and attempted to get up, but before he could, she ran back and sat him back into bed. Sighing heavily as she had to check any wires and cords that he might have pulled.
"I never said I'd tell on you, did I? I just wanted to bring this to your attention." She gestured to the visitors and kicked one of their chair legs witch a certain amount of glee. They were all pretending to be asleep, and they weren't doing a very good job of it.

"They better be looking more convincing or hide when the doctor comes. Are we clear on that?"

"Yes miss, I'll be sure to pass that on to them."

As she made for the door a second time, someone knocked twice and then walked inside. It was Eilish.

The nurse sighed deeply and shook her head as she left the room. She was muttering something about getting her references from the doctors while she still could.

"Eilish!" Mica acknowledged her and nodded with a smile.

"Hello, sir. How are you two today?"

"We're both on the mend, dear, slowly but surely." He noticed her fidgeting hands and how she looked away and chewed her lip. "Boys?" They all straightened their backs and opened their eyes. "Since there is plenty to discuss," he glanced at Rue and nodded, "and I think the young miss might want for less of an audience for whatever she has to tell us, why don't you go downstairs and find us some decent food to eat? The stuff they brought earlier," he grimaced, "it's like they never heard of seasoning before. It is fifty shades of  bland."