Chapter 27

It had been two months since Rohan and I had broken up. I got news that he didn't take a flight back to LA.

Our university was starting to reopen and he was soon allowed to be back in his dorm. He stayed at his friends' place till then.

He didn't try to contact me even once nor did he make the effort to ever apologise. I learnt something from this Rohan situation.

I need to focus on myself. Not anyone else. Just me. Me and my career. Nothing is going to get in my way.

Just like my mother said now is the time I focus on my education and that's exactly what I've been doing.

I have finals coming soon and I've been preparing day and night for them. As soon as I'm done with my finals, I'm leaving for India.

My graduation will be done online anyways so there's no need for me to be in New York so I can go back and kickstart my career.

I had been going about on my daily routine and scrolling through my phone while I sat in my bedroom.

I came across a post that said 'Aryan Khan arrested by NCB' These people really come up with just about anything.

I looked at the post closely and saw my brother. "Bhaiyya?" I said out loud. Before I could read the post any further, my mom's face popped up on my screen.

I hurriedly answered her call. I could hear her sobs even over the loud background noises. "Ma?!" I asked worriedly.

"Suhana, Aryan..." She said as she cried. "Ma?! I saw a post saying bhaiyya is arrested! Please tell me it's not true" I was started to panic.

"It's true they took him away" She choked out. "What?! Why?!" I shouted over the phone. "They said he's doing drugs I-"

Her voice was interrupted by my dad. "Suhana?" "Papa?" "Suhana bhaiyya went on a cruise..." Papa moved away from the crowd.

I remembered bhaiyya telling me about the cruise. "There was a raid for that party" He told me.

"They took your brother but he had nothing on him and his drug test was negative" He told me. "So he's coming back right?" I asked with hope.

"They're not letting him go" He said. "But-but they have nothing on him?!" I was so confused as to why they were still keeping him.

"I don't know baby we're trying our best" He said. I had never heard my dad's voice shake. He always spoke with such courage.

If he was scared then something was terribly wrong. "Papa I want to come back" I told him. "No!" He immediately said.

"You will stay in New York" He told me. "The media and public is going crazy you stay away from all of this" He instructed.

"But papa-" I tried to fight. "No Suhana you'll stay and finish your finals" He instructed but didn't understand how difficult that would be.

"Don't come here we will get your brother back" I sobbed over the phone. Someone called for my dad.

"I have to go baby just pray okay?" He told me before he hung up the call. I was left alone in my apartment unable to do anything for my brother.

A whole dreadful month went by before bhaiyya was released and came back home.

He was stuck in there all alone and was rejected for multiple bail despite having no evidence against him.

I didn't know who would be so cruel to ever do this to him and for what? Bhaiyya had never done anything to anyone.

I was already distraught and worried about bhaiyya's situation in the midst of my finals that when Rohan showed up on my doorstep, I lashed out on him.

{A couple of days before Aryan's final bail hearing}

I sat in my living room with my books sprawled all around. I was meant to be studying but instead was looking at the news.

My parents had warned me not to bother hearing the news because none of it is accurate anyways.

I watched the media constantly make a drama out of my brother's misery.

My brother is really strong and knows how to take care of himself but even he must have limits. I heard a knock on my door.

I swung open the door thinking it's my food delivery. Rohan stood in my doorway with his hands in his pockets.

"What?" I bluntly asked. "I-I just wanted to know if you're okay" He said timidly. "Why?" "I heard about Aryan from my sister" He told me.

Ruhi and bhaiyya broke up a while ago because they both couldn't handle a long distance relationship.

She was one of the main reasons he needed a getaway and was going on the cruise. "I'm fine" I said and began to shut the door.

"Suhana wait" He stopped me from closing the door. He held the door open with his hand. "I just came to check up on you" He said.

I looked at him angrily. "Check up on me?" I repeated. "You have no right to check up on me" I told him.

"You lost that right the second you walked out of this apartment" I said.

"You don't even have the right to care for my brother so get out of my life" I spat at him.

"I really have no place left in your heart?" He asked. "You ripped that place out of my heart yourself" I told him.

He just nodded and turned around. "I really do hope Aryan is okay" He said before he left my floor.

I shut the door behind me and kicked it in anger. "How can he come back here?!" I shouted angrily. "What did he think?!" I yelled.

"I'll let him back?!" I was going crazy. He had me yelling to myself in my apartment. I had so much to worry about.

Bhaiyya's hearing was in a couple of days and the day after that was my last exam. I had already booked my flight for the night after my exam.

{Back to present day}

I looked around at the suitcases packed up and placed in the corner of the apartment.

I made sure to place my documents in the right order inside my backpack.

Alyana and Maira were supposed to pick me up soon. They were going to drop me off at the airport for my flight tonight.