𝒐𝒏𝒆. funeral

[ 2

[ 2.01 ]

do you have any friends?

        "Hey, hey hey!" Maya giggled as Derek lifted her into the air.

        "You left yourself open, you have to defend yourself," he smiled.

        "If this is what training with you is going to be like maybe I won't defend myself more often."

        "No, you need to learn to fight," Derek said seriously and put her down.

        "I know, I know. I need to learn so I don't get kidnapped again," Mj sighed.

        "Yes but also because there are always going to be people out to get you, MJ. You could be kidnapped again, or worse—killed."

        "Hm," she nodded sitting and grabbing her phone. "I'm starving, got any food down here in this abandoned subway station," she teased.

        "You just ate."

        "I want cookies," she said with a shrug. "Hey Derek?"

        "What, now you want pizza too?" he rolled his eyes.

        "Ugh, yes—but no. That's not what I'm asking. Now don't get offended because I know Mr. Sour wolf doesn't like talking about not being a loner—"

        "Spit it out," he rolled his sitting across from her.

        "Do you have any friends? Or is it literally just you. And me now, I guess," she said.

        "I had friends, in high school. My best friend's names were Charlie and Nathan. Charlie knew everything—including the supernatural."

        "What happened to them?" she asked.

        "Nathan is a detective—pretty sure he's in the FBI now. Charlie's a cook—or a nanny. One of those two," Derek told her. "No, he's a chef. He owns a restaurant in town actually."

        "Wait, Charlie. As in Charlie Deaton?" Maya's eyes widened.

        "Yeah . . . why?" Derek asked in confusion.

        "My boss is Charlie Deaton. He takes good care of me. He feeds me too. And Scott's boss in Doctor Alan Deaton. You know that probably means his boss knew exactly who you were when you tried to kill him before we all almost died at the school. Maybe not, considering you didn't realize he was your best friend's dad . . . " she trailed off.

        "You've met Charlie?"

        "That's all you took from that? Yes, he's my boss and he keeps me in food so obviously I love him. Keep up," she smiled. "How do you know about them?"

        "We've kept in touch."

        Maya looked down at her phone and gasped seeing the time, "No, I'm late!"