𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒆. murder, she wrote

[ 2

[ 2.08 ]

i almost died.

Scott, Maya, and Lucas sat at the table while they ate lunch. Scott and Maya awkwardly glancing at each other while Lucas ate his sandwich. "Scott, can we just talk? For real?"

"Oh, is that something we still do? I thought we just lied to each other," Scott replied as he stood up and put his plate in the sink. Lucas glanced up at him in confusion.

"Scott! Please, I'm trying to fix things!"

Scott sighed, looking back at his sister. "Ok. Let's fix this. How long?"

"We got together after Peter died. Right after Derek became the alpha," Maya told him honestly, her heart breaking at his scoff. "We've been staying a secret from as many people as possible. It's not like he can just walk around town. People think things about him."

"May, that was over a month ago. You've seriously been keeping it a secret for that long?"

"I was trying to protect you!"

"Really?"

"Yes! I know how you feel about him. I didn't want to rub it in your face."

"So every time we talked about how I felt about him turning innocent teenagers, you were what? Helping?"

"Not . . . helping. I never helped him convince Isaac, Erica, or Boyd. He did that on his own. And trust me, we've fought over his choices. I haven't been completely on his side."

"You haven't been on mine either," Scott said sadly. "I thought it was us against everything, Maya. You made that promise to me when Dad left. But you haven't been by my side in weeks. That hurts, Maya. And not only that, I don't trust him! Not with the betas and surely not with you!"

Maya furrowed her eyebrows. "I can take care of myself, Scott. I know what I'm doing."

"Do you?"

"Yes! I'm happy with him, Scott! And I'm arguably in a safer relationship than you are."

"Oh, so now this about me and Allison?"

Maya sighed. "No. But, can you see the parallels between our relationships? You don't want me to get hurt. I don't want you getting killed. Have you forgotten she's a hunter? And Chris doesn't trust us. At least Derek would protect us."

"Us?" Scott questioned.

"Yeah. He'd protect you too. He has been. He's been keeping an eye on the house and you and me and Lucas ever since the Argents found out about us. It's not just me he cares about whether he'll admit it or not." Maya stood up and placed her hand on his arm. "I promise if I thought he was going to hurt me or you I wouldn't be involved. Can you trust me?"