bonus chapter 3 - our daughter pt. 2

Talia:

Talia:

"I'm still mad he didn't let me go to the game," I complain, my arms crossed over my chest in frustration. I sink deeper into the couch.

"Awe, Graysie-boy is just looking out for you, Lia," Jake says from in front of me. He sits back down, handing me the popcorn bucket in the process. "You're nearly at your due-date, he doesn't want you to be in a stressful situation."

I pat a hand on my beach ball of a stomach. Seven months after learning there is something growing inside of me, I'm one week away from my expected day of birth.

And for your information, my dad did not kill Grayson from hearing I'm pregnant. He actually almost passed out, which made the killing nearly impossible. It took him a total of five minutes to jump up and down with joy from hearing the news.

I called my mother that night, too. She now lives in Washington D.C. at a new job that has a lot more hours. Work is her life. She wanted to arrange a coffee meeting with Grayson and I for the next week, which I agreed to. Even after everything she has said that unintentionally controls my subconscious today, she is still my mother, a soon-to-be grandmother. Grayson was protective during that little meeting, but I didn't mind. After that day, I've try to call my mother every week to update her on my life. I try to be the better person.

When the entire Summers family heard the news, they threw a party to celebrate. They scheduled a baby shower for the future and promised to help take care of every little baby thing. Vivian and Daniel donated some of their newborn items, Grayson's mom crocheted a blanket, and Katie made a onesie that said, "Katie is the best aunt ever." That then caused Sophie and Jessica to make their own baby clothes that had their names and that phrase. Vivian didn't like being left out, so she was the last to join the trend.

I look down into the snack bucket and smile. Jake sprinkled M-n-Ms in with the warm popcorn, just as I asked. Quite honestly, Jake will do anything I ask of him at the moment, considering Grayson yelled at him before he left to wait on me hand-and-foot. The whole event before he went to his play-off game went something like this:

I was sitting on the couch—which is all I seem to be doing these days—and noticed my water cup was empty. Now, I am an independent woman, and in any other situation I would get up and refill my glass. But I'm fat as fuck, right now. So I needed a little extra help.

Grayson was in our room, finishing changing into his uniform. He was running late and wouldn't have time to use the locker rooms at the arena. Jake had just arrived to keep me company, as he was in the city because he claimed he missed Graysie-boy, but there seemed to be another reason. Anyways, Jake was in the kitchen, productively tapping away on his phone—which actually meant he was playing Candy Crush.

"Jake," I called out, half paying attention and half trying to set the TV to ESPN—something I was somehow struggling with. "Could you please refill my water? I'm having trouble getting up."