Carbon Steel

Clutching the letter to your chest, you flopped down on the couch and let your mind slip. Thoughts raced back and forth, battling one another.
If I were to date Edward, how would that work?
You're going to be dating a criminal.
What's the fun in a relationship if there's no secret kept from the public?
Quite literally everything.

Last time you thought about this, it didn't end well. It resulted in a dozen bruises, a lost gun, an incredibly risky kiss, and a very angry commisoner. It was always best to keep some thoughts to yourself.

Your phone lit up, revealing a message from Gordon.
Y/N, we found Riddler's appartment. Meet us here ASAP. The address will be linked.

Oh fuck.

What was Edward going to do? Is he planning something? Surely he would be. He's smarter than to just let the GCPD infiltrate his house. Still, the thought worried you. Was there anyway you could help him? What could you do?

Ping Another message from Gordon

Remeber that scrawny guy from forensics you had on the case? Edward? You were working with the Riddler. The entire time, Y/N.

Wow no shit sherlock.

Gordon wasn't aware of what happened between you two. But he didn't know that you knew Edward's alter ego. You figured you could pull it off. Throw in the whole "woah man I never knew that!" spiel.

Again, it was raining. There were few days it was fully sunny, or for that matter, nice. The torential downpour had added to the mysterious ambiance in the air tonight. You could never predict Edward's next moves, which was a main reason he caught you in the moment, lacking. Lacking what exactly? The longing for a hearts need fufilled? The lack of true emotion that had never been there until Edward had stepped in? You couldn't tell, but the way things were going, it wasn't going to be there long. If they had found him, that means he'd be going to Arkham. He'd be gone from your life. Gone. It hurts to think about that. He'd impacted you so much, what would you do without him?

Y/N, we really need you here.
Another message from Gordon.

As much as I would love to, Gordon, I'm caught up in a few family things. I'll be seeing you soon. Let me know any updates with The Riddler.
You replied.

Clicking your phone off, you tried to shut down any thoughts about Edward leaving. But such a dreary night called for a coffee. What better place to go than the diner you'd met the man himself?

Stepping through the doors reminded you of the first time. When you worked with Batman, when you finally switched to the Riddler case full time, when Edward first introduced himself to you.
Eddy Eddy Eddy, what would I ever do without you.

"What can I get ya, sweetheart?" A waitress approached you and questioned.

"Just a coffee please. Oh, and maybe a slice of pumpkin pie." You'd never understood why Edward liked it so much, but he did.

She nodded and walked off to the kitchen to leave you pondering, would you see him again before his arrest? It took a solid few minutes of spacing out before the door chime was set off. Whipping around in hopes of finding Edward, it was simply a person who looked tired of everything.
What a mood.

The waitress had brought your food to the counter you were at while you were looking for Edward. It was a pleasant suprise turning around to see a hot meal waiting for you. Although everything was plesantly warm, the seat next to you where he had sat many times before remained cold. The thoughts circled around and around, until the door chimed again. And oh so very luckily, that seat was finally filled.

"Hiya, Y/N."

You froze at the voice, and slowly turned your head towards his. "Hi, Eddy."

His smile made your heart melt, and seeing his face without the mask reminded you of how kind he actually was. "How's your day been going?"

"Awful. Thanks."

"I doubt that. You know they're looking for me. And you know I'll soon be out of your hair."

"How are you going to deal with the GCPD?"

"Let them catch me, I suppose."

"Edward, why?"

"I have nothing else to offer this city. Every piece of revenge that needed to be dealt with has been. I'm a broke forensics student with a shitty appartment and a shitty life, currently. I'd much rather live where I can get the basic human essentials for free."

The words had put a terrible frown across your face. Did he really think that? "You can live with me if you need, Edward."

"Although the offer is very intruiging, your life would be ruined too. I know how much you love Gotham's detective program."

"Gotham's a shit city anyways, we could run away together."

"Everyone should be punished for their crimes. Including me."

His words struck you like a bullet train,
He's right.

"Y/N, take a walk with me." He said as he extended his hand out. You gladly grabbed it and slapped some money on the table.

He led you outside of the diner, holding your hands in his. "Y/N, I know it's not what you want to hear, but it has to happen. I'm deeply sorry I can't spend more time with you, but this is what happens when you fall in love at the wrong time."

"Are you implying that you're in love with me? Edward Nashton you bastard," you playfully slapped him on the shoulder.

"Mm, perhaps." He remained eye contact, then glanced at your mouth, and brought his gaze back up. "May I?"

You nodded, resulting in his delicatly placing his lips on yours. It wasn't a kiss of lust, rather one of goodbye. Maybe it was straight out of a movie, a romantic kiss in the rain.

His hands slipped up to your face, cupping it, while the kiss lingered on. It was like a web of emotions had kept you both glued together for a minute or two before you realized what you had to do.

Clink Went the handcuffs.

He broke the kiss and looked at his hands. He nodded in approval and asked, "What metal are they? I might be allergic."

At this point tears were forming as you held the cuffs and fell into his chest. "I'm so sorry Eddy," You managed to choke out.

He brought your face up one last time, and gave it a small peck. "I think it's high time you called Gordon."

Nodding, you brought out your phone, and dialed him. Edward held your head to his sopping coat, as you waited for Gordon to pick up.

"Hello?"  A scruff voice answered.

"I got him."

Fin
1147 words

A/N
Oh that was such a hard chapter to write. Almost started crying too. Either way, I'm terribly sad to announce, the story's coming to an end soon. Take what you will with that, and I'll see you later.

Cheers,
-Luca