Cleaning up

After Batman's craze with Oswald Cobblepot (penguin), guess who got to deal with it all. That's right! You lucky dog! Making calls with the insurance people was so pleasant. Not to mention all the construction going on after this. 

I'm not dealing with this today.

After picking up the phone and dialing a few numbers, you got someone to work on this for you instead. Now the real task was at hand. After figuring out "La Rata", messages were exchanged with the now dubbed crazed lunatic, The Riddler. 

> DID YOU FIND HIM?

> EL RATA ALADA?

> YES

MAYBE. IS A PENGUIN A RAT WITH WINGS?

> INTERESTING

> YOU'RE MISSING THE BIG PICTURE

I NEED TO SHOW YOU MORE FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND

> MY NEXT VICTIM IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF THE PUZZLE YET

> VICTIM?

> DEAD?

> HE WILL BE SOON 

> HERE'S A CLUE TO WHERE YOU CAN FIND HIM...

> I GREW UP FROM A SEED, TOUGH AS A WEED...

> BUT IN A MANSION, IN A SLUM...

> I'LL NEVER KNOW WHERE I COME FROM.

> DO YOU KNOW WHAT I AM?

>AN ORPHAN?

> GOOD BYE <?>

(all quoted from the movie) 

All the screenshots were taken, and everything was uploaded to the cloud. Batman was decently smart, much smarter than you expected. I mean, for god's sake, a bulky emo in a costume - that's all he really was anyways. Have you actually met him? Not at all. He most likely wouldn't want to meet you anyways, considering all your complaining and whining about cleaning up after him. Gordon knew damn well you and him wouldn't get along.
So why am I still working beside him? Or would I be considered working under him, because the fucker doesn't even know I exist?

The pay. It was always about the pay. Being famous always got everyone killed anyways, so why strive to be on top?

Hoping for someone to pull you out of your thoughts, like always, there really wasn't anybody here again. Sure hope nothing big is going down. Oh what a suprise it would be for more paperwork to magicaly appear on your workspace. The papers reminded you of something for a split second though,
Edward. I haven't talked to him in a little bit. Rather, I haven't seen him around anywere. Wasn't I going to ask him about what he knew?

That "juicy" gossip about the Mayor's funeral hadn't been that interesting. Just some asshole guy with a family and a major secret to keep. Never the less, you've been putting together the pieces. After the attack on Wayne Manor, it all starting coming together. First the mayor, then rich guy with a secret, then another rich guy with a secret. Who's next?
Probably another rich guy with a secret, as you giggled at the remark.

Enough, it was getting late and the brain switch-off was begining.
Nothing else to do other than get a coffee, I suppose.

The trek to the diner wasn't as plesant as the first night, but it wasn't awful. Damp, sticky, and overall, dark - but the door bell ringing was a lovely sound to your ears. It seemed like such a wonderful place to be, almost 100% better than the office. The expresso machine ringing around the corner was enough to distract you from who just happened to sit right next to you.

"Out late again, huh Y/N?" He questioned.

"Sadly, I got caught up in the late shift once more. Keeping up with Batman isn't all its cut out to be." In a split second, you'd recognized what just slipped out of your mouth, clasping your hands onto your face.

"Batman, huh? Those are big shoes to fill."

"I'm not the vigilante himself, Edward. I'm the 'picker-upper'."

"Exactly how does that work?"

"Whatever mess he creates, I clean up. Like a mother with an ungrateful little shit of a child."

"Surely you don't think of him like that, do you?"

"You'd be suprised. The amount of calls I get concerning an injured relative because Batman couldn't teach them a lesson without breaking a bone or two is quite high. And frankly, I can't stand it. But the pay is good, and the folk I work with are decent. So other than the kid with a cape running around, it's not a bad life."

"If you don't like it, why don't you move professions?"

Your head dropped further into your hands, emgering a sigh. "If only it were that easy."
Remember, if you can squeak anything out of him, do it now.

"I'm still working on that case with the Riddler, by the way. Have you looked into it at all?" Edward asked.

"I don't have the time for anything anymore." Liar.

"Well I've collected some really cool facts you might want. Remeber that livestream he did? Maybe you could trace that."

Your face lit up, we could use this. "'He?' How do you know they're a 'He'?"

Something triggered him, his face flushed and his hands started flying everywhere. "Uh, well the voice of course."

"Edward, that can be so easily changed with todays technology."

"Maybe they weren't being careful enough."

"So now we're switching it up again?"

"Well of course, you pointed it out. I might as well agree rather than argue." His nervousness didn't go away. Constantly pushing up his glasses, he said nothing more.

"Well, if that's all you got, we can use it. Thanks, Edward."

He didn't reply. Rather, drank his coffee quite fast, and gobbled the pumpkin pie infront of him. He ended the parade by placing a few bills on the table, shoving his hands in his pockets, and walking out.

We might have something here.

Fin.
948 words

A/N

I enjoy writing these at the end of every chapter, it's fun. Anyways, writing this had fueled my addiction for Batman even more. I've seen the movie 5 times now lmao. Either way, make sure to drink some water, eat a snack, get plenty of rest, and (if you have them), do incredible on your finals.

All the best,
- Luca