Epilogue

3 years, 7 months and 18 days later
James

It had been three years, seven months and eighteen days since I had been drafted to Calgary. I spent my first year playing for their AHL affiliate and the next two playing in the big leagues. It had been three years, five months and twenty seven days since I parted with Jocelyn to come to rookie camp. Three years, five months and twenty seven days of skype calls and summer vacations together. Three years, five months and twenty seven emotionally tolling, difficult days. Three years, five months and twenty seven days of distance and longing. But tonight that would all change. I was in New York on a rare free day between road games. Jocelyn had been signed by a team in Buffalo the year prior and had a game in NYC tonight. My team had been in trade negotiations with two teams in the area and if I got lucky, I would be traded tonight, right before the deadline expired. I had worked out a deal with the coaches, officials and event complex where Jocelyn was playing. If everything worked out, I would be traded and the announcement would be made between second and third period. If everything worked out, I would walk out onto the ice between periods and get down on one knee. If everything worked out, we would never have to have a long distance relationship again. It was with 5 minutes left in the first period that I got the call. The trade went through and I would be going to buffalo. I could barely sit still through the second period and when the buzzer sounded at the end of the second, I made my way to media stand and waited to be let onto the ice.
"Ladies and gentlemen, the nhl trade deadline has come to a close. The following trades were made just prior to closing:" my hands were shaking and it was all I could do to pay attention "and finally we ask Jocelyn _____ to please remain on the ice for a special announcement."
I watched her turn to look at the jumbotron in confusion. Then the cameras cut to me, I was kneeling at center ice, with a sign in my hands saying
"Will you marry this Saber?"
"It is our pleasure to announce that Calgary defenseman James Collings has been traded to Buffalo, James is here with us tonight and he would like to ask his long time girlfriend Jocelyn a very special question."
She dropped her stick and gloves on the bench, and skated over to me, undoing her helmet as she came. When she reached me, there were tears running down her face.
"Are you serious?" she asked, searching my eyes.
"Deadly." I gulped waiting nervously for the answer. "Yes! A thousand times yes!"
She yelled throwing her arms around my neck and knocking us both back onto the ice. Then I kissed my future wife with a kiss that conveyed all of the hope and happiness burning within me as we skated into our new life together.

The End
If you enjoyed this story, please check out Ryan's story coming soon