Untitled Part 27

Please enjoy a sneak peak of my next story. #Adulting

CH 1

It all started with a pounding at the door. It should have been a Monday like any other Monday Phillip had experienced in his five years at ANB engineering. He arrived at 7:58, bypassing the main entrance for the more private stairwell entrance which was conveniently located next to his office. Upon entering the hallway, Phillip noticed his lights were already on. Odd, he thought but not completely unusual. Entering his office, he found nothing disturbed. He sat down at his desk and began to go about his usual tasks for the day. Everything was proceeding as normal, he was approximately a quarter of the way though his email inbox when the pounding began.

Now, it should be noted that this was a moderately sized office building with thin walls. Also, the office in which our unsuspecting hero was checking his email had an ajar door. Therefore, there was absolutely no reason in the universe to justify the thundering booms emanating from the open door, except to say that the person hammering on the door was, by all accounts, unnecessarily impatient. Phillip took a deep breath, closing his eyes as he prayed to the lords of caffeine for a little premature patience, he was about to acknowledge the visitor when a trill erupted from the phone to his right. With a last longing glance at his barely touched coffee, Phillip pressed ignore on his phone and moved his attention to the interloper at the door who was, once again pounding on his open door, this hip propped against the door frame and scowling at him for not acknowledging them. Phillip barely restrained himself from letting out a groan of annoyance. It was Eugene, most likely here to tell him all about his weekend without regard for the work Phillip needs to get done or even the work Eugene himself has waiting on his desk. On this occasion, however, Eugene was not here to talk about himself, at least not entirely.

"Margarette broke autocad again," Eugene whined. Phillip barely contained the temptation to pound his head repeated on his desk.

"And?" he asked, his attention going back to his open email. Margarette breaking autocad was not an emergency. Margarette broke autocad multiple times every day. The color in Eugene's face faded away quickly only to be replaced with a lovely shade of aubergine.

"And," came his nasal reply, as he stamped his foot, "I need you to fix it. She won't stop complaining and I don't have time to fix it for her."

"Has she called IT?" Phillip asked.

"Well, no, why would she? What are they going to do about it?"

Phillip replied, with a patience he definitely did not feel, "fix it. It is, after all, their job."

"I need you to fix it, they'll take too long."

Now, at this point there are a few points which we should establish. They are:

1. Eugene was the drafting department supervisor. His direct report employees were Margarette and Penny.

2. Phillip was once a member of the drafting department.

3. Upon being hired by the company, Phillip was placed in charge of setting up autocad and creating a training program for the department.

4. Phillip trained the department thoroughly and created a go to manual with every troubleshooting technique he would ever use written into it.

5.Phillip is no longer part of the drafting department and has not been for over two years

6. All training and troubleshooting responsibilities were allocated to Eugene, who should have been handling them from the time before Phillip was hired but lacked the ambition to do anything outside of his comfort zone.

7.Phillip and Eugene have had this same conversation at least once a week for the past two years.

8. Phillip was very tired of having the same conversation over and over again