Chapter Two

Hiei was rather restless and uneasy.Meeting Annika had awakened several strange feelings in him that he can't quite understand.For the first time in his entire life,he got disturbed by a lovely girl.Indeed she was lovely.But what struck him most was the way she gazed at him without fear even if she knew that he was no ordinary being living in this town.And all the more that he wanted to get to know her.
"So,here you are!,"Kurama's voice distracted his thoughts.He sensed his presence even before he spoke.Both of them are looking down a small apartment building from the top of a tall tree near it He particularly has his attention on one of the windows of the third floor.
"Hmmm,looks like you've become something of a stalker,huh?"Kurama's voice was teasing,his emerald eyes flashed with mischievousness,"I bet this young lady had you really struck,right?!"
"What are you blabbering about?!Will you stop talking?You are getting too annoying again!"Hiei spat out but Kurama persisted, teasing him even more.
"Well,I'd like to meet this gurl who caught my friend's fancy!It seems like you're going to fall for a human.And I thought you detest humans."
"Oh,shut up!Quit talking nonsense.If you don't have anything sensible to say then get your ass out of here and leave me alone!"Hiei said rather coldly.As he said that,his attention was caught by three men grabbing a girl not too far from the building As the place was rather deserted that time no one saw what was happening.
"What the...."Kurama didn't finish what he was saying.Hiei quickly bolted down from the tree.Kurama followed him.
"You bastards,get away from her!If you don't,I've got to knock you all out!"
The girl turned around at the direction of the voice.She recognized him at once.
"Hiei!"Annika blurted out her blue eyes wide.
The men let her go and angrily turned at Hiei.
"So you're trying to play hero,huh?! Let's see if you can still go home to your mother now!"and wielding daggers ,they all ran at his direction.But,Hiei was a lot quicker than they were.Even before they can touch him,all Hiei had to do was knock them all out in one single swift move.
Annika was frozen on the spot.Hiei went over to her.
"Are you all right?!"
At that,she seemed to move out of her daze.As she looked into his ruby eyes,she felt something strange.It was as if his eyes were seeing through her
"Yes,yes,I'm fine,"she said unsteadily.Hiei helped her up.He could still feel her trembling.
"Hey are you both all right?!"Kurama then went over to them.The startled look in Annika's eyes returned as she felt the presence of another mysterious entity in Kurama.
"So there are two of you now,"Annika recovered from her initial shock and,"I wonder how many more of you are walking around here.This is too unbelievable.
"It seems you are also gifted with psychic powers,"Kurama said as he looked at Annika.
"I've been trying to avoid thinking that I have it.I don't know if it's a gift or a curse.Ever since I was a little girl,I've been seeing things that only I can see.But,I think I can't run away from it anymore.Guess,I'll have to learn how to live it with it."
"By the way,thank you again,Hiei,"Annika turned to Hiei who was silent all of a sudden,"But then I'm starting to think that you were the one following me around.For the past few days,I've been sensing someone being around me all the time.And I'd like to think that you were the one."
Kurama cleared his throat and looked at Hiei.Hiei's face changed and turned away from her.
"Well,what makes you think that I'm following you around?!Whatever reason do I have to do that?!You are probably just imagining things!"
Annika's face turned beet root red.She seemed overly embarrassed.Why,oh,why did she have to say that?!she thought miserably.
"Hey,watch your words.Look at her,she's getting red in the face!"Kurama was amused.With the red spreading on her cheeks,she seemed more beautiful than ever.Hiei could not help but notice.But then again, pretending to be indifferent,he turned away.
"You always get into trouble, don't you?!If I were you,I'd have to learn how to defend myself so I won't need to be bailed out all the time.It's only a coincidence that I was always around.Next time,you might not be as lucky,"Hiei then walked away,leaving Annika and Kurama behind Annika was getting more intrigued by him.