Chapter Thirteen

It has been over a year now.Hiei has been intensely training under Mukuro 's guidance so he would become even more powerful and worthy of her title when the time comes that she would relinquish it to him.He swiftly absorbed everything that has been taught to him and even Mukuro was greatly impressed at how fast he has learned.Definitely she had no qualms at choosing him to be her successor.He was a prodigy,yet he was sharp,quick in movement and easily adaptable.
   But on this particular day after slowing down a bit from all those rigorous training,Hiei was in a gloomy state.He wore a dark expression most of the time,even his subordinates would not dare go near him if it wasn't important.This didn't escape Mukuro's keen perception and she knew too well what was running through his mind.For a while,she left him alone in his thoughts.He really needed to ponder about some things he seemed to have neglected.
  Hiei was sitting under the tall tree near the training grounds.Try as he may to avoid it,his thoughts were always drawn to Annika's lovely and angelic face when he was all by himself.The memory of that fateful night was as clear and fresh in his mind as the spring itself.Even now,he remembered how he took her,how she had clung to him as he claimed her young body,how she moved with him as they came together as one.He would never forget how she professed her love for him over and over again.And at times her memory was driving him out of his mind.How he longed to be with her again,to feel her in his arms and never let her go.But now he has doubts if she still feels the same for him,after leaving her without even saying farewell to her.He has no regrets in coming back to the place where he really belonged,what he did regret was that he didn't try to ask Annika if she would be willing to go with him so they could be together.If only he did just that then they would not have been separated.He was afraid then to be rejected,that Annika would say no.Because he had suffered rejection early in his life he didn't want to go through that again.  
  "DAMN!"his fist hit the trunk of the tree so hard it left a mark.He really wanted to go back to the human world and go to her,to tell her that he didn't forget her ever.He wanted to tell her how much he missed her and he still loved her more than ever.But what if she has forgotten him and she was already with someone else.That would certainly cause him pain but he could not blame her if that happens because he also left her with unbearable pain.That could be the high price for breaking her heart.
   "Thinking of your girl,huh?!"Mukuro's voice distracted his unruly thoughts.He didn't notice her sudden appearance behind his back.Hiei turned at her but his face didn't show any of the emotions that was plaguing him.
   "I can very well read your mind,Hiei.There's no use denying what's going on in it.That human girl has totally captivated you and now you're longing to be with her again, aren't you?!"
   "And what does that concern you?!'"Hiei was being his usual self again.Mukuro smiled wryly.
  "There you go again.Do you really think you can hide what you're feeling these past few days?!But very well it's been more than a year since you came here.If I'm going to tell you now that you just have to wait for a few more months before I can allow you to go wherever you want to go, how's that for you?!"
   Hiei didn't answer.But deep inside him there came a ray of hope.That as Mukuro told him,he'd only have to wait for a few months and then he can go back to human world.If only he can turn the hands of time forward so that he could be with Annika again....if she still wanted him.  
  With that in mind, Mukuro again flashed another smile at him,but this time,it was not a happy smile.It was as if she felt sorry for him.
  "Another thing,Hiei,I really don't know if I should be telling you this or if you had any idea of this.I think your girl and your best friend, Kurama,is getting too close for comfort while you are here.Guess,you would have to face whatever would welcome you if you go back there.For the most part,it was your fault.You were the one who messed it up Try to accept everything if she ends up with him..."
   Hiei could not believe his ears.Did he hear that right?!Annika...and Kurama?!Now he was enraged,his fists tightening,color going up his face and thoughts getting out of control even more.Can Kurama really betray him?!But,no,he can't believe that surely he wouldn't dare do that to him.Yet on second thought he has all the chance to steal Annika away from him if he lets him to.
  His fists again hit the trunk of the tree,he hit it again and again,not feeling any pain anymore.And as if in utter desperation,he shouted,"DAMN IT !!!"his voice echoing through the vastness of the forest

  Kurama , Yusuke and Kazuma were at Yusuke's apartment facing a few bottles of liquor and talking about Kurama wooing Annika.He has been courting her for about three months now.
  "Kurama,are you sure of what you are doing?!Do you really mean to go through with courting her?!"Yusuke asked Kurama.
  "You can call me whatever you want now, Kazuma, Yusuke,"Kurama's speech was slightly slurred now because of the liquor,"But I really couldn't help it.I have fallen for her.And I want to win her heart if she would just learn to love me back."
  "But,what if Hiei suddenly comes back?!And from the looks of things,Annika has not gotten over him yet.Yes,its been almost two years but he still has her heart,"Kazuma put a hand on Kurama's shoulder,"And think about it, what's Hiei going to think about you?!He'll definitely think you betrayed him."
   "All I know is that I really care for her.But still it is going to be her decision.If she really couldn't forget Hiei then I can't do anything.I won't force her.For now,I just want to show her that I'm here for her.If Hiei decides to come back and she still loves him then I'd have to accept it as a real man."
   "Kurama,you and Hiei are both our friends.We will not take sides on any of you for that matter.But,we know you too well,we know that you are ready to step aside if Annika will choose to be with Hiei.After all,he is truly her first love and he might still be her last,"Yusuke had a very serious tone which is not so him.He then patted Kurama's shoulder and they continued drinking their bottles if liquor?!
   Who would have thought that everything would come to this?!That best buddies Kurama and Hiei might fight to win their beloved girl 's heart.Who would concede?And who would Annika choose in the end?!