Getting a Little Ahead Of Yourself

After that... lengthy discussion, Gon's mother starts preparing for her flight. And he starts moving his things from her place to Mito's. Luckily he doesn't have many possessions, and he only needs to make one trip with his car packed. He's done in time to get to Killua's for dinner.

"Gon!" Killua nearly knocks his boyfriend over as he jumps on him. Gon stumbles, hugging Killua tightly. "What's- what's the plan?" Killua asks anxiously, waiting for the bad news that Gon will be leaving.

Gon looks away. "I... I'll be moving..."

Killua feels as if his heart sinks to his stomach.

"...In with Mito." Gon finishes, fighting off a grin. "So unfortunately, I'll be like an hour drive aw- OW!"

Gon yelps when Killua punches him in the arm. "You jerk! Asshole!" He scoffs, shoving himself away from Gon. "I can't believe you! Do you have any idea how terrifi-"

Gon kisses him to shut him up. "Sorry." He grins. Killua mutters a no you're not. "But uhm, there's... something else you should know."

Killua recognizes that tone of voice. Gon's guilty of something. "What did you do?"

"I kinda sorta... told my mom that uh... we're engaged..." Gon clears his throat, looking away. "In order to plead my case to stay..."

Killua stares at Gon in disbelief. "You... what?"

"I didn't know what else to do!" Gon excuses his actions. "I told her we didn't want to have the ceremony until after we graduate-"

"Oh my god!" Killua groans out, face completely red. "We haven't even told her we're dating- and you jump all the way to fucking marriage?!"

"I'm sorry!" Gon bows his head a little bit.

"Ugh," Killua rolls his eyes, walking off to his bedroom. Gon hurriedly follows him.

"Are you mad?" Gon asks.

"Shut up, I'm looking for something." Killua ignores the question, which Gon translates as a yes.

Killua rummages through some old boxes in his closet until he finds the small velvety box he was seeking. Gon, curious, walks over. "What?"

Killua stands up, turning towards Gon. "Give me your hand." Killua orders, not looking into Gon's eyes.

Gon puts his hand up, and Killua opens the little box. Gon's eyes widen, realizing what's going on. "You're-"

"Shut. Up." Killua takes the ring from the box. It was on a dainty silver chain, and he put it around Gon's neck. "There. It was my grandma's. Just tell your mom you weren't wearing it earlier cause our engagement was a secre-mph!"

Interrupted mid sentence by Gon's lips crashing into his, Killua closes his eyes and lets Gon back him into the corner.

"That's the second time you've cut me off with a kiss in the last ten minutes." Killua laughs. "Also! This isn't a fucking proposal! It's way too soon for that. Way too soon."

"I know! I get it!" Gon throws his hands up, but his big grin remains.

Killua just grumbles and rolls his eyes again. "There was really nothing else you could say so she'd let you stay?"

"Nothing! I swear. Even when I told her she tried to convince me I was just being blinded by the thrill of young love. Like she was." Gon sighs. "She tried really hard to convince me I wasn't thinking clearly-"

"Duh. Her seventeen year old comes out as gay and engaged in the same conversation." Killua scoffs. "Of course she'd question your sanity."

"I know. I was stupid." Gon whines. "But it all worked out for the best, right? I'm not moving to the other half of the world. And my mom is cool with our relationship."

"You sure about that last part?" Killua asks skeptically.

"I'm sure. She does think getting engaged is rushing things-"

"Cause it is!"

"-But she likes you! And she's cool with us being together." Gon finishes.

Killua shakes his head, nudging Gon away so he can get himself out of the corner and into the open space of the room. He rakes his hands through his hair, going over the whole ordeal in his head. "Any compromises or conditions I should know about before we move past this baffling conversation?"

"Well... she wants to design our wedding suits, or dresses, or whatever we wear. And she wants to be there of course..." Gon thinks on it some more. "I think that's it."

"Okay." Killua took a deep breath, and calmed himself. "I don't want to revisit this conversation until at least after we've graduated. So let's go eat. Alluka should be done with dinner by now."

"No complaints here." Gon follows him out of the bedroom and to the kitchen. They don't see Alluka anywhere, but the table is set. And in the center there was a cake.

"Happy anniversary!" Alluka busts in with streamers. Killua turns red, and covers his face, muttering an oh god.

Gon looks confused. "What..?"

Alluka giggles at his expression. "It's your sixth month together, dummy."

Gon's eyes widen, checking the calendar on his phone. "Oh..! Oh shit it is!"

"Seriously, Alluka..." Killua groans, sitting himself at the table.

"Did you two fight? Was that what all the shouting from your room was?" Alluka asks, looking between the two with concern.

"No-"
"We didn't-"

Gon shut himself up. Killua continued. "We didn't fight. Just, uh..."

Alluka looks to Gon for answers. Then she notices her grandmother's ring. "Oh my god! You proposed?!!" She gasped, looking at her brother.

"No!" Killua groans out, covering his face. "This- we- ugh!" He sinks diem in his chair. "Gon had to, uh, tell his mom we're engaged so he could stay. But we're not! It's just- just a ruse. Until she's gone." He sighs. "And I don't want to hear about it again for a very long time."

Alluka clears her throat, and makes eye contact with Gon. He gives her a look and shrugs. "Okay then... consider it forgotten." She smiles, taking her seat. "But..! It is your anniversary. So tonight is still all about you two! We've got popcorn, nachos, ice cream, and several shows to choose from to binge!"

"My stomach already hurts." Killua jokes, finishing up the okonomiyaki Alluka prepared. "What shows?"

"Well we still have to catch up on That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime, there's also the movie. There's also Firefly and Only Murders In The Building that we have to finish." She recounts. "Oh and the finale of The Last Of Us, too. I'm sure there's others if we finish all that."

Killua checks the time. Then looks at the cake. "Well, then, let's move this party into the living room while the night is still young." He grins, looking over at Gon.

Gon and Alluka finish their food quickly and Killua moves the cake to the low coffee table in front of the couch. Nanika hops up to investigate it, and he swoops her up into his arms. "Uh uh." He sets her on the floor in the kitchen, and Alluka gives her a leftover piece of chicken.

Nanika seems satisfied, and the three humans continue prepping snacks and blankets for the night. Popcorn, a tup of Chocolate Mudslide ice cream, and a platter of loaded nachos. They arrange it all on the coffee table and take their seats. Killua sits in the middle between the other two.

Alluka goes to the TV apps. "Alright, folks. What're we starting with?"

"Let's finish The Last of Us first." Killua says, and the other two agree. "We only have the one episode to watch, anyways."

Alluka opens HBO Max and goes to Killua's profile, and clicks on his list. She starts the episode, and Killua carves his spoon into the ice cream. He nestles himself into Gon's side, and Gon puts his arm around Killua's shoulder.

Alluka looks over at the two lovebirds, and the ring on Gon's necklace. She smiles to herself, and refocuses on the movie.

I think I may start wrapping this book up. It was never supposed to be a long one. I'll probably do 5-10 more chapters.