2. First Stage of Grief: Denial

Omniscient POV

Friday June 1st, 2018
5:26pm

"Mya, you need to eat boo." Kamya's God sister, Jada says to her as she enters the dark room of Kamya's. It's been three long weeks since the funeral and today marks one year since the passing of Grandma Julia.

"Jada I'm fine. I-I just need to call mommy." She picks up her phone and calls her mom phone

"You've reached Charisse Thompson. Sorry I can't come to the phone right now but if you leave your name and number I'll get back to you. Be blessed."

"FUCK!" The 22 year old yelled out, throwing her phone at the wall and eventually starts destroying everything around her. She's been in denial of her mother's death since the repass. Even after she cried when the casket was lowered. Jada grabs her god sister's arms to try and prevent her from causing any further damage.

"I need my mom Jada. I need her. She has to call me back"

"Mya...lil sis I'm sorry that she-"

"Nope. Don't you say it. Don't say it Jada please! She isn't dead! Charisse gone come back. Just watch what I tell y'all. That wasn't my mommy in that casket. We gone be fine." The distraught young woman says, sounding more like she was trying to convince herself rather than Jada.

Not knowing what do next, Jada grabs her phone and calls Tamia.

"Hey Big sissy!" Tamia squeals into the phone

"Hey sis. You busy?"

"I'm with a family friend. What's up?"

"It's Kamya. She's havin another episode. I'm at a lost right now on what to do. Can you help me, please?"

"Ok...um. I'm not drivin' but let me talk to em and I'll call you back."

Janet's POV

Sitting at the umbrella table with Tamia, the two of us enjoy our banana splits.

"Janet, did you know my mom when she was younger? Like in her twenties?" Tamia asks me curiously.

"No I didn't. Your mom's about 20 years older than me. She was already saved when I met her" we laugh together. Her phone begins to ring and she accepts it. Tuning out of her conversation, I begin thinking. Kingston and Tamia always reach out to me. It's only been three weeks but I come to Greensboro often to visit Tamia on campus and take her out to do things. I even bring Kingston food from time to time. But I haven't heard or seen Kamya, and quite frankly the family is very private and only gives out limited information regarding one another.

"Ok...um. I'm not drivin' but let me talk to em and I'll call you back." I hear her say and she looks at me before hanging up.

"What's going on?" I asks taking another spoonful of ice cream into my mouth.

"Do you think that you could take me to campus. Mya is going through it and I need to get to her asap."

"Where is she? I can just take you."

"No you dont have to."

"Mimi, get up. Let's go. What's her address?" Tamia hesitantly gives me the address to put in my GPS.

___________________________________

"KAMYA! JADA!" Tamia yells as we walk through the dark townhome.

"Basement!" The voice yells back. We walk down the carpeted stairs into the finished basement and is met with a tall mixed girl. I'm assuming that's Jada?