Chapter 23

Sofia, me, and Mateo arrive at the castle to see Elena has fled. What happened? We asked but Elena explained that she couldn't get the spell right and now Shuriki has our family! What?! We'll discuss it later because some archers begin to fire at us. We went to Mateo's place, while Sofia and I were worried about our family. I knew we would be running into a bit of trouble but I didn't expect this. We arrived at Mateo's house.

"Elena, what happened back there?" I asked

"I never knew what happened to my sister and my grandparents until today. Seeing them trapped in that painting reminded me of the last time I saw Isabel," Elena said

"Isabel?" Sofia asked

"My little sister," Elena said, "She'd been out in the garden all day, building a new feeder for the jaquins. She was filthy, and our parents were on their way home for dinner, so I asked her to change. And she comes back wearing a clean dress, but her hands and face are still covered in dirt. I had just finished cleaning her off when I heard our parents' carriage pull up outside. And then, Shuriki arrived."

"I'm sorry," I said

"When I saw her in that enchanted painting today, she still had a smudge on her cheek. I guessed I missed a spot."

Mateo's mother comes out and says she has a spell that can free the rest of the royal family. Mateo has to cast the spell. But they will be in danger if freed too soon. Someone knocked at the gate and everyone but Mateo's mother hides. It's some good people who have heard that Elena had returned. We all come out of hiding. Elena has to let everyone help and tell them what to do to defeat Shuriki. Elena, Sofia, Mateo, myself, and everyone else goes to rally the rest of the kingdom to fight against Shuriki.

Sofia, me, and Elena go to a secret back entrance to the palace. We got spotted by Armando but he agreed to help us. Armando gets one of the guards to leave while Sofia and I become little to get past the other guard while Armando distracts him. Sofia and I get past him and become big again. We took the keys and freed our family. We have a lot of explaining to do, but that can come later. Roland knocked out the guard and locked him up.

Elena explained that she needed someone young enough and someone else skilled at magic to free her and to not be mad at Sofia and me but proud. And Sofia explained that she didn't want anyone to get in trouble and I agreed. Roland pardons everyone. Elena has a plan to get everyone to safety. But we need to get to the throne room first and get Elena's sister and grandparents.

We arrived just as Mateo started to free the royal family. He says the spell and sets the family free. Elena hugs her family before the jaquins took us to the town to get more people. I had an idea so I went into the streets where everyone was. All eyes were now on me. Time to start a revolution.

'Do you hear the people sing? Singing a song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again! When the beating of your heart echoes the beating of the drums, there is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!' I sang as everyone looked at me like I was crazy

I continued anyway, 'Will you join in our crusade? Who will be strong and stand with me? Beyond the barricade is there a world you long to see? Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free!'

Everyone joined in and followed me to the palace.

'Do you hear the people sing? Singing a song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again! When the beating of your heart echoes the beating of the drums, there is a life about to start when tomorrow comes! Will you give all you can give so that our banner may advance? Some will fall and some will live, will you stand up and take your chance? The blood of the martyrs will water the meadows of Avalor! Do you hear the people sing? Singing a song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again! When the beating of your heart echoes the beating of the drums, there is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!'

Everyone that's on a jaquin flies to the other side to open the gate for the people of Avalor. Sofia and Elena open the gate. The people of Avalor enter to confront Shuriki. The guards try to stop them but fail with Roland pointing his sword at them and me having my wand out. Shuriki, Esteban, and Armando arrive and the guards retreat. Armando joins our side. Shuriki causes a storm.

"Leave my palace at once," Shuriki demanded

"It's not your palace, Shuriki. It's ours, and you can't stop all of us," Elena said

"I don't have to. I only need to stop you."

Esteban betrayed Shuriki, taking her wand, and throwing it to Elena. She gets the wand and breaks it. Shuriki grows really old and Avalor is freed from her spell. Her reign is over. But Shuriki runs away and falls off the bridge. Elena goes to check on her and her grandfather reassures her that they won. Elena hugs her family.

Everyone else praises her for freeing them. Elena is now in charge of Avalor. Elena lets Sofia keep the amulet. Elena hugs Sofia and me and thanked us and our family for everything. Esteban reveals that he only pretended to be on Shuriki's side to protect the painting. The children come back and Elena hugs her sister. Esteban raises the flag of Avalor.

"Let every bell in Avalor ring. We are free!" Elena said smiling

Everyone cheers and Elena hugs her sister. Before we left Sofia had something to say to me.

"Thanks for helping me, Auntie Mads," Sofia said smiling

I smiled at the nickname, "No problem, Sof. Anytime."

We hugged. After we left, Elena is crowned the Leader of Avalor. I might not be a great person sometimes but I'm ready to help a kingdom when needed. Maybe I'm actually not so bad after all. Well, we'll see what the future has to say about it.