CHAPTER 14: DEUCE THE BADDIE

I regret cheering Deuce on as he beat the two guys into a pulp.

    "Woah-! O- Okay, Deuce that's enough-!" I said nervously as he continued to throw punches.

    "T- this guy's straight up mad!" Delinquent-A cried, holding his arm and closing his eye in pain. "That wasn't just six hits, liar!"

    "Seriously, let's get the hell outta here!" Delinquent-B exclaimed, "I'm sorry to all your chickens!"

    "And your girlfriend!" The other yelled as the two rushed away. 

    "Apologize a hundred times next time you eat eggs! Dumba*ses!" Deuce shouted back, "AND DON'T EVER LOOK DOWN ON GIRLS EVER AGAIN!"

    "D- Deuce!" I hollered, "hey, are you alright?" I asked as I rubbed his back in circles in an attempt to calm him down. Grimm shrieked in fear behind us. 

    "Huff... huff... ugh..." Deuce seemed to finally come to his senses. "I- I screwed up... I vowed that I'd definitely, TRULY be an honors student this time...!"

    "There, there," I said quietly as the boy continued,

    "In middle school, all I ever did was screw around. I'd constantly skip school and spent all my time getting into fights," he looked at floor, ashamed. I continued to try my best to comfort him while he went on, "I disrespected my teachers, hung around sketchy upperclassmen and bleached my hair to death." His eyebrows furrowed slightly. "I was a terrible person that went as far as to use magic to lord over those who couldn't."

    "Just now, you went full bad boy on those guys!" Grimm said, shocked.

    "I never woulda thunk it..." I said quietly. 

    "Then, one night... I saw mom hiding away in tears as she called my grandma. 'Was the way I raised him wrong? Would it have been better if he had both parents?' Mom was wrong. She didn't do anything wrong in my upbringing- it was all me!" I nodded in understanding. Sure, I haven't experienced such a thing before, but I could imagine what his life must've been like. He carried on: 

    "So when the carriage from Night Raven College came to get me, my mom was practically leaping with joy. And I do not want to make her cry again. This time, I'm gonna be an honor student my mom can be proud of. And then I do this... sh*t!" He sighed with the most guilty and saddening look I've ever witnessed. My heart broke. 

    "Deuce," I said softly as he slowly looked up from the floor at me. I moved my hand from his back to his shoulder, holding it firmly. "Being an honor student doesn't mean you have grin and bear everything."

    "Yeah! Those delinquents deserved another 10 punches if you ask me!" Grimm agreed with me.

    "Mhm, just don't go too far, though," I said, patting his shoulder affectionately. 

    "You guys..." he said softly. 

    "Honor students get angry too, from time to time," I smiled at him. Though I wouldn't know since my grades are pretty average...

    "Really...? Heh heh. May those baby chicks rest in peace," Deuce smiled. I couldn't help but crack a grin too. 

    "Deuce- there weren't any chicks inside those eggs..." I informed him. 

    "Eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh??!?!!!?!?" His eyes widened in pure shock, "you're kidding-!"

    "Not kidding," I laughed.