CHAPTER 20: UNBIRTHDAY PARTY

"All hail our leader, the Red Sovereign himself... Housewarden Riddle!"

    It was time for the Unbrithday Party to begin. 

    After helping everyone clean up, we all prepared and set up everything for the new unbirthday party. 

    "We salute you, Housewarden Riddle!" 

    I was sitting next to the boy everyone seemed to be cheering for. It was his own request, after all...

    I sneaked a glance over at the red-head, who immediately caught my gaze. I flushed and quickly turned away. How'd he catch my stare so quickly? Was he already looking at me?

    "Hm. The garden roses are red, the tablecloths are white... This seems a proper unbirthday indeed," Riddle stated as he nodded his head in approval. "Is there a dormouse asleep in the teapo- Er, well, I suppose it's fine either way." 

    "It's alright," I smiled at him and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, "everything doesn't have to change all at once. Just take it slow." He seemed to scan me as his eyes glossed over my figure. I'm not sure what he was looking for, but I only grinned in response. That seemed to make him loosen up as well as a smile of his own adorned his beautiful features. 

    Over to the side, I noticed Ace complaining about cleaning everything up again, to which Cater responded by taking a few selfies in the prettied-up garden. 

    "Oooh~ (N/N)!" he called me, "wanna take a selfie with me?" I giggled at his adorable peace sign and wink,

    "Of course!" I stood up, but before I could make it towards him, I felt someone softly grab my wrist. I looked over at the source: Riddle Rosehearts himself. "Hm? Is everything alright?" I asked him while whispering. His expression seemed slightly distressed, which worried me. He was supposed to be fine... did I screw something up somehow? 

    "N- I mean-!" He quickly let go of me, as if realizing he'd done something horrible, "yes, I'm alright. I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me." He then looked down at his lap and began twiddling his thumbs together. I cooed at his bashfulness. If this were us 3 hours ago, it would've been off with my head instead. 

    I decided to push my luck. 

    I raised my hand from his shoulder and placed it on his head instead, slightly ruffling his hair in the process. He flinched a bit and looked up at me. 

    "Wh- what are you-?"

    "(N/NNNNN), I'm waiiitinnng~" Cater called once more. I decided not to answer Riddle and turned to the other boy, taking my hand off the redhead in the process. 

    "Coming!" I ran towards the selfie-loving cutie and hooked my arm around his (neck/waist) as he held up his phone. 

    I'm pretty sure this is where Riddle notices a white rose among the red, and we all have to paint it again. 

    But he didn't. 

    "A- alright, let the unbirthday party begin!" Riddle announced suddenly as cheers of joy from the other members lifted the air. 

    "Yeah! Let's eat!" Grimm excitedly shouted and ran towards the food table. 

    This isn't- Riddle didn't notice the white rose? How come? I felt a little anxious- I didn't ruin his behavior or anything, did I? I glanced at Riddle once more, only to notice that he'd been staring at me- with flaming cheeks, he quickly turned away to look at the tea cup in front of him.