10: Girls will be Girls

As the sun started to stream into the room through the windows, I found myself nestled snuggly into his side with my leg draped over his and my head resting on his chest. I must have gotten cold while I slept. That was the only reasonable explanation because even now he put off heat like a campfire. The last thing I needed was for him to wake up and find me pressed against him. It was possible I'd wake him if I tried to unwrap myself, but I had to risk it.

Holding my breath, I faked a slow stretched and rolled away from him onto my other side. Pretending to still be asleep I tried to lay still and keep my breaths even, waiting to see if I woke him. He seemed to still be sleeping.

A series of knocks came through the different rooms until the culprit made their way to the bedroom door. "Alpha," I groaned inwardly at the sound of Nathan's voice, "Are you up yet?" He knocked louder, waiting for an answer.

Next to me, he growled and stretched grumpily. "I'll be out in minute!" he grumbled sitting up. His hand slid over my hip and gently shook me. "Time to get up, Pet, we've over slept." I sat up and watched him move around the room getting dressed. He dressed more formally today, in slacks and a button down shirt. He tossed a blazer and tie over his arm, "let's go, people are waiting." I followed him, barefoot, in just his tee shirt with my hair in a fizzy braid. Nathan gave me one long look over before turning his attention back to Dmitri, "You may have to cut breakfast short today. I had to schedule a few meetings for early morning to make up for yesterday." He rattled off a few names and times as Dmitri put on his shoes. He parted ways with us when we made our way to Sophie's rooms.

She was annoyed by our tardiness and my appearance. "She needs clothes of her own Dimi," she pouted as he kissed her forehead before sitting down. I made my way to the ottoman to wait out his time here. "And you promised that my time wouldn't be spent taking care of her for you." She frowned.

"I can hardly be blamed for her appearance when we both overslept," he grinned at her. "If it makes you happy, I will see that an alarm clock is set up for her in the mornings."

"You overslept?" doubt written all over her face, she looked to me for confirmation and I shrugged.

"Really?" he chuckled, "you can't just take my word for it? That hurts Soph." He held a hand over his heart dramatically before shoving half a bagel into his mouth. "You'll have to scold me later," he gulped down some coffee to wash the bagel down. "Nate had to schedule some things earlier than usual today to accommodate our new deal."

She sighed loudly, "Fine, I guess I can forgive you this time." He shoved the other half of the bagel in his mouth and kissed her on the forehead before leaving. She sighed again, "Well, he's gone, please get off that thing." She waited for me to get up and move around the table. "Things weren't too bad yesterday I hope."

I shrugged; "I met Candy." She pursed her lips like she wanted to say something. "I don't think she likes me much. I may have kicked the hornets' nest a little on purpose though, so..."

She laughed, "That girl has been trying to wheedle her way into being more to Dmitri than a booty call since she grew boobs. Candice wants the status and title of his mate, something split between you and I at the moment."

"I mean if she has a willing womb?" I spread my hands.

"Dimi would never," she giggled, "She's just always slinking around him like a bitch in heat."

"Who am I to stand in the way if he loves her..."

The juice she was sipping shot out her nose as she laughed, "Love? Dimi and Candy?" She laughed hard. "Hell no! She's convinced herself that she actually means something to him, and he is content to use her because she never tells him no." She set her glass down and wiped her chin. "She's always parading around half naked, trying to get a rise out of him, hoping he'll slip up and knock her up on accident." She laughed some more and wiped a tear from her eye.