41: Finding Answers

Blake looked a little uncomfortable when I asked him to hang out with me while I finished resorting and packing boxes. "I have some questions about the Delta-Binding thing and Sophie suggested that I ask you, because things can be very personal between a Delta and his..." I wasn't sure what to call it exactly.

"His Luna?" Blake tried to finish the sentence for me.

I shrugged, "I was going to say his ward or his charge. I mean, you know that I'll never actually be Luna, right? I'm just the solution to the siblings thing so that there's a natural heir in line to be Alpha after Dmitri."

He gave me a quizzical smile, "Isn't it there more to it than that? You do know that I can smell him on you, even with the scented soaps you use." My face felt like it'd just burst into flames, how had I forgotten about that? Did Sophie smell it too; she'd been able to smell Candy on Dmitri that first morning. "You don't have to be embarrassed about it," he gave me a warm smile. "It's my job to notice even the most subtle and nuanced things about you. You are my Luna."

I had to take a deep breath, "You know about the contract right?"

He gave me a nod, "I don't know specific details, but I'd say that the whole pack knows about the arrangement made for you and Dmitri to be a mated pair."

"Ok," I sat down, "There's a detail that worries me about you." He gave me a nod to continue. "I am only obligated to produce one child. Afterwards I can decide to leave Dmitri, and the pack too. As soon as I'm pregnant, the Binding process would be mandatory and I don't want to be the reason that you have to rip your family from their home. It's not fair to ask you, your mate and your child to follow me if I leave."

"I volunteered for this," he sighed, "Kelly understands what the position entails. So I have just two questions for you?" I gestured for him to go ahead. "First, do you think you'll go rogue if you leave here?"

I tried not to laugh, because it was a serious question to him. "No, I think with the 'compensation' I'm supposed to receive, I'd be considered a lone wolf. I would never have a reason infringe on another pack's resources."

He nodded, "Then the only other thing I need to know is if you find me unworthy."

"Of course not," I rolled my eyes at the very idea. "But are you sure you know what exactly you're signing up for? I didn't even know this was a thing and I'm still not sure what exactly a Delta does besides be a body guard."

He had an almost musical laugh, "A Delta is someone you can trust with your darkest secrets because even an Alpha's command cannot override the bond."

"Seems like a dangerous precedent to set, if you ask me. Why would an Alpha want a wolf in his pack, bound to his Luna that he couldn't control?"

"Because, the life, health and happiness of his Luna is detrimental. Not just to him and his well being, but the pack as a whole. A Delta will protect her above all else, he becomes her fiercest protector and closest friend. I understand you have some reservations about it, but let me tell you why I'm willing to give you that kind of devotion."

"Fair enough," I agreed, giving him my undivided attention.

"You aren't the kind of person that would ever knowingly put my family in danger, otherwise you wouldn't be worried about it now even without the bond. I seen how good you are to Sophia, and you have changed her life for the better in ways you can't see. Even though you hide it, I know that you care for Dmitri, and I know you're struggling to separate your anger about the contract with how you feel about him. But above all that, you have the presence and qualities of a Luna, even if you don't see them in yourself. I see it, and I'm not the only one. You are my Luna."