9: Blurring the Line

With a low animalistic growl, he yanked my hips forward, smashing our bodies together. My mind scrambled for a way out of this. His lips crashed into mine, in a rough and unpleasant kiss. He pressed too hard, bruising my lips and his tongue jabbed into my mouth like it was trying to spear my tonsils as his fingers tangled in my hair and pulled my head back. How did someone who could elicit reactions from my body with so much finesse not know how to kiss?

A kiss! It had been one of his terms at breakfast, a real kiss of my own volition. It was an act of desperation, and it could backfire, but anything else would better than this unyielding torrent of tongue stabbing that could only lead to darker impulses. Surprisingly, he yielded as I gently pushed his chest back, forcing him to pull away.

He looked down at me, his eyes dark and brooding. Forcing a small smile, I curled my arms up and around his neck, letting my fingers run through his hair. "Let's try this," I used his phrase from this morning. Taking a slow steady breath I pulled his lips back down to mine slowly. Pressing a few soft kisses to his confused lips I slid the tip of my tongue along his bottom lip after the last one. I pulled back a few inches to look up into his eyes through my lashes. The dark shadow had faded, but his eyes still looked heavy and lusty.

Had I gotten myself into a worse position? He looked down at me, licking his lip a little as he studied my face. I winced when he leaned forward making him pull back. Slowing his momentum, he inched his face towards mine and tucked a hand under my chin, his thumb tugging down slightly to part my lips. Closing the distance, his lips pressed against mine gently, his tongue slipping into my open mouth, slowly swirling around my own. Time seemed to stand still as that feeling of familiarity settled over us again, like it was the most natural thing in the world to kiss this man.

Candice called out that she'd finished, and I felt my body tense as I felt that bubble pop again. I pulled back; looking for the darkness to fill his eyes again. Instead, he smiled down at me with a sort of dreamy look. Stepping back he helped me down off the counter and led me by the hand back out into the office. He sat in his chair, pulling me into his lap. He drew me in for another slow kiss, never moving his eyes from me to her.

"You can leave now," he dismissed her. Dumbfounded, she stood there staring for a while as he continued to ply me with gentle kisses. With a huff, she stomped away. After the last door slammed, he pulled himself from my lips, chuckling, "I think you've gotten under poor Candy's skin."

I shrugged, biting my lip to keep from saying anything stupid. It seemed like he was in a good mood again, and there was no way in hell I was going to ruin it. "I still have to get some work I have to get done," he caressed my cheek. "You are full of surprises," he mused, helping me off his lap. "Why don't you go make the bed, and then you can roam around a bit if you'd like, as long as you stay in my rooms." He stared me down until I nodded.

My heart was fluttering around wildly in my chest as I made my way into the bedroom with the basket of linens. I'd just willingly kissed the man that had drug me from my home the night before. Worse, I enjoyed it and wanted more.

Part of it was because I enjoyed making that bitch eat crow, but even that didn't make sense. Why did I care what she thought? I couldn't blame it on his Alpha abilities this time. I hadn't felt him try to use even a hint of sway. Maybe it was pheromones? Something was definitely different from last night. Was it me or him that was different?

I tried not to think about it too much as I tugged the fitted sheet over the corners of the mattress. These weren't the same sheets that had been taken off the bed this morning. These felt like the softest cotton I'd ever touched, not slippery satin. Not that I really cared, but I found myself wondering where the other set of sheets went.