7. a team

Friday nights hit different.

Neil switched between watching the IPL match and the woman pacing up and down the balcony. He who should've been enjoying the rare glimpse of vintage Dhoni, was unfortunately busy stealing glances. What's new in that? No matter what, everytime she always ended up in front of him.

Or he ended up looking out for her. Not that he would admit it out loud.

She looked better. Not that she doesn't look good always, but she seemed a lot less crankier now. He truly would fall on the feet of the person who complained about the workload. Truly. No one was more relieved than him, Neil Birla for sure. Not having to deal with a moody chipkali was a blessing.

Even more was the fact that she was around. But then again, there was one problem. A very grave one.

"Chamgadar," she called out, snapping her fingers to get him out of his musings.

This was the problem.

The name which she had been avoiding, had come back with full force. He should've expected this when he was calling her chipkali. But what was done was done. Shaking himself out of it, he paid attention to the one who plopped down on the sofa next to him.

"At your service, your highness!"

"What do you want? I'm ordering today."

"Don't we order everyday chipkali?"

"Woh dabbawallah, that's homemade only. Ordering means Zomato. Jaldi bolo kya chahiye."

"Chicken something please."

The rate at which she looked at him, he was sure that her neck was broken. He stared at those huge eyes. Big mistake. Drowning was something he was scared of, irrespective of whether it was water or eyes. Looking away he coughed, an effort to let go of the feeling. Whatever it was.

"Marwari families don't eat non-veg chamgadar."

His brother used to say the same thing. Difference? Then it was apprehension. Here it was amusement. And to get chipkali amused was difficult, only the ones who actually tried would know. Like him.

"I know, but it—"

"—tastes so good."

If she was amused before, it was he who was in that state right now. Sure, he did like it and was craving for it, but not the way she did. His adoration for Kachoris could match at the same level perhaps. Which reminded him.

"Can you add Kachoris to the tab?"

"Hmm. Also, don't let Mimi or Akshu know about the non-veg thing. Please."

"Alright," he assured her. She was quick enough to realize the slip of tongue she had. He knew how his bhabhi and bro were when it came to this topic. Infact, both the families, to be very honest. From what he knew only Vansh, Shefali bhabhi and Anisha were alright with the idea. The others practiced strict vegetarianism.

Thirty minutes and the delivery was at the doorstep.

Dividing and taking their share, Neil went forward with watching the match while Aarohi continued her exam preparations along with feasting. His phone rang, a video call request. Accepting it, he was met with a happy, jumping Nishta.

"Bhaiya, guess what's happening?"

"Kya?"

"Arrey guess karo naa!"

"Aliens landed up at Birla house and came to your room and said, 'Oh! Yeh toh humari praja ki hai! Technical glitch ke kaaran aapke ghar par hai. We are here to take her back,' right?"