23. someone

"So Neil, two months of your internship. Done and dusted."

"Yes ma'am."

He took the effort of not tapping his knees, which was difficult considering how tense the atmosphere was. Performance appraisals brought jitters to every corporate staff, specially an intern. To know that one poor performance review could either get you fired or let you be in the mercy of your boss forever, was a real trap. In spite of sitting in the air-conditioned room, he knew that he was sweating. The woman in her late-forties brushed away her highlights, assessing his progress of the past two months.

"You have done a good job. I see potential. Baakiyon ke tarah kachra nahi ho tum."

She noted, pushing her spectacles against the bridge of her nose. He chose to remain silent. One thing he learned in two months of working was that silence actually was the safest way to survive here. It was difficult to understand who was a friend and who was not. On contrary, very easy to state that no one was a friend here.

"I'll talk with the higher-ups. Consider yourself permanent from next week and yes, basic pay. Anyways, our old man Girish is retiring and we need an addition. Rest of the deets over mail. You can leave. Also, send that Prakriti in."

"Thank you ma'am," he responded, making his way towards the door. Just when he was about to pull the glass door, she stopped him as she put forth an afterthought.

"Also, just saying as a well-wisher. Don't do this much work. Be smart about what you do. Work only when and where you are required to. To be a Saint is not your job even if you mean well, woh serial ke bahuon ka kaam hain. Okay?"

Replying with a nod and a smile of acknowledgement, he walked out and asked the girl chewing her fingernails to go in. He ended up reaching the canteen, lost in thought. While the others had their smiles dropped cause of the disappointing appraisals, he felt giddy over the promotion. To achieve something, even so small, is this what it felt like?

Standing next to the coffee machine, he ditched his tea for once. Sipping the warm drink, he relished the taste of the crushed beans as he stood remembering a certain someone who couldn't live without this coffee once upon a time. Shaking his head, he smiled, staring at the sunny skies.

°

Tired Dr. Aarohi Goenka-Birla stepped out of the hospital, stretching herself. Barely having the strength to cover up her yawn, she decided to get moving towards her home. That chamgadar must've slept off already. She'll take a nap as well, a short one. Maybe one or two hours? And then she'll get up and study. Yes, that's a great plan.

"Good job Dr. Aaru! Bas tooh alarm rakhna mat bhul jaana," she patted herself, self-appreciation was important. Placing one foot into a single brick, she made sure that the other one landed up on the alternate one. This criss-cross walking was something she used to do when she was young, on the way to school. At snail pace though, and it got her nowhere.

The car which stopped her way got her annoyed. Banging on the window, she signaled the driver to pull down the screen. "Oh, it's you chamgadar," she noted on spotting the very typical grin of his. Alert, she stepped back and checked the car's number plate. This was her car only. Realizing that fact, she lightly petted the window because of how harsh she was with it few moments ago.

Just as she was about to step in, her name being called out stopped her. Covering up an eye roll, she faced her mentor, Dr. Walia. She could see the old man peeking inside the car with curiosity. Gesturing him to come out, she watched him get apprehensive before she glared at him. That got him step out the next second.